The Student Room Group

Is Islamophobia a problem in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankielogue
In my school, we all make jokes about different races equally. Equality? haha.

"race"?
Reply 81
Original post by theonecenter
But that is the same for any religion, not just Islam. There will always be peace and violence. Always be tolerance and intolerance.
But not every other religion claims to be "the Religion of Peace", whose followers deny that there are any passages that could encourage violence, intolerance and oppression.

And I made my point clear earlier and I'm not going back on it. If you respect me, then I will respect you.
But I don't know you, so how can I respect you. And I certainly don't expect you to respect me, because likewise, you do not know me. But that was not the question.

I asked you whether your position is:
A) The quran, its message, and the example of Muhammad are perfect, timeless and universal, or
B) Homosexuality is acceptable and it is wrong to oppress or target gays in any way.

So, which is it?
Reply 82
Original post by EmilyClare99
IUltimately, Islam is not frightening,
Try telling that to the millions living in the lands conquered during the centuries of Islamic empire. Or to gays or apostates in places like Saudi Arabia, Iran or Bangladesh. Try telling that to the Yazidis in Syria and Iraq.
Reply 83
Original post by Ashaibrahim5
Yes some do actually. Not so much in the UK but America for sure. Also, just because it's not being recorded doesn't mean it's not happening. I was also referring to racism BTW
So you agree that Muslims in the west are not facing daily oppression?
Then why did you say it. If you meant that some people experience racism, that's what you should have said.
Reply 84
Original post by ELVsLP
you hear it behind peoples screens all the time

but in public? :rofl: you're joking right?

no one in the UK has got the balls to openly discriminate against them!
So there are no Islamophibic attacks on Muslims IRL?

So why do we hearing that there are?

And do you mean that no one would have the balls to criticise Islami IRL? Why is that? What do you suppose might happen?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by limetang
Oh some definitely do, but quite often that ends up being muslim women and it's usually muslim men doing the oppression.
I think it is quite reasonable to argue that Muslims are often more likely to face oppression in Muslim countries than in the west.
Original post by QE2
But not every other religion claims to be "the Religion of Peace", whose followers deny that there are any passages that could encourage violence, intolerance and oppression.

But I don't know you, so how can I respect you. And I certainly don't expect you to respect me, because likewise, you do not know me. But that was not the question.

I asked you whether your position is:
A) The quran, its message, and the example of Muhammad are perfect, timeless and universal, or
B) Homosexuality is acceptable and it is wrong to oppress or target gays in any way.

So, which is it?

I don't expect you to, yet I follow the Qur'an and it's message, but allow other people who inhabit this Earth to do as they please. And you can decide to twist it however you wish, but that's where I stand. And yes, I am allowed to have both.
Original post by sleepysnooze
"race"?

race, class and religion mostly.
I personally think there is islamiphobia but at the end of the day i am muslim and i respect every religion out there, because i deserve to be respected too. In the world there are good muslims but there are also bad and this is the case for every religion aswell. There are good christians and bad. There are good jews and bad. Etc
We just have to deal with everyone with the same respect because we would want to be respected too.
I don't expect you to, yet I follow the Qur'an and it's message, but allow other people who inhabit this Earth to do as they please. And you can decide to twist it however you wish, but that's where I stand. And yes, I am allowed to have both.

It's not "twisting" to say that Islam promotes intolerence, it's just a fact. However, I do respect your stance not to believe in those passages.
Original post by AmirahxRashid
I personally think there is islamiphobia but at the end of the day i am muslim and i respect every religion out there, because i deserve to be respected too. In the world there are good muslims but there are also bad and this is the case for every religion aswell. There are good christians and bad. There are good jews and bad. Etc
We just have to deal with everyone with the same respect because we would want to be respected too.

I agree with the statement in bold. That shouldn't have to be said, but it is a pronounced problem in society, unfortunately :frown: (unless the individuals have behaved as such that they do not deserve respect, but that is often not the case)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
It's not "twisting" to say that Islam promotes intolerence, it's just a fact. However, I do respect your stance not to believe in those passages.

Thank you. At least somebody does.
I'm not going to go and preach hate, nor am I going to promote it. At the end of the day we are all human, and can do as we choose.
Original post by QE2
So you agree that Muslims in the west are not facing daily oppression?
Then why did you say it. If you meant that some people experience racism, that's what you should have said.

Can you read? I clearly said some are facing daily Islamophobia depending on where they live. I said the UK isn't so bad.
Original post by _gcx
I agree with the statement in bold. That shouldn't have to be said, but it is a pronounced problem in society, unfortunately :frown: (unless the individuals have behaved as such that they do not deserve respect, but that is often not the case)

Thats really true unfortunately
Let's be honest, if the Sunnis in this country acted like the Ahmadiyyans there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately they just ostracise and make them outcasts.
Reply 95
So you claim the Quran and example of Muhammad is perfect, yet at the same time you claim that the Quran and Muhammad were wrong about homosexuality.

How do you do that?
Reply 96
Original post by AmirahxRashid
How do you define a "good Muslim"? Is it someone who regards the Quran and Muhammad's example as perfect, timeless and universal? Or is it someone who accepts that parts of them are no longer applicable or acceptable in modern, civilised society?

No we don't. Why would you treat a wife-beating drug dealer with the same respect as a volunteer aid worker? Why would you treat Donald Trump with the same respect as Barack Obama? We should treat people with the respect that they deserve, and that is most definitely not always the same! It is determined by their words and deeds.
Original post by QE2
So you claim the Quran and example of Muhammad is perfect, yet at the same time you claim that the Quran and Muhammad were wrong about homosexuality.

How do you do that?

By not over complicating things, and using my free will to dictate how I run my life.
And I'd like you to respect my choices.
Reply 98
By not over complicating things, and using my free will to dictate how I run my life.
That's all well and good, and what many people do.
But you are taking two simultaneously contradictory positions. Simply saying "by not over-complicating things" is meaningless. It's like saying "I can be a vegetarian who eats meat by not over-complicating things"!

"Using your free will" to decide that Allah is wrong about homosexuality is just fine, and I respect that decision. However, if, at the same time, you also say that Allah is perfect and makes no mistakes, then you are saying that he was right about homosexuality, and I cannot respect that.

And I'd like you to respect my choices.
Only if they deserve respect, and at the moment they do not deserve respect.
Original post by QE2
How do you define a "good Muslim"? Is it someone who regards the Quran and Muhammad's example as perfect, timeless and universal? Or is it someone who accepts that parts of them are no longer applicable or acceptable in modern, civilised society?

No we don't. Why would you treat a wife-beating drug dealer with the same respect as a volunteer aid worker? Why would you treat Donald Trump with the same respect as Barack Obama? We should treat people with the respect that they deserve, and that is most definitely not always the same! It is determined by their words and deeds.

I am sorry to say this but u did not understand a single word i sed so please re read what i said. When i meant good muslims i meant muslims who follow the law of the country they live in and muslims who care for one another. Not all muslims are bad. And when i meant treat everyone with the same respect i meant that everyone around us not the criminals or the bad people. I meant everyone in general. So please do yourself a favour and read the comments properly before spitting out random nonsense. Read the damn comment before replying. And im also sorry to say this but you are quite rude.šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Quick Reply

Latest