Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Undecided on career/ university course

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I have had my sights set on studying veterinary medicine, completing an extensive amount of work experience and striving to achieve the necessary grades. However, I have recently questioned my interest in the subject. I have been asking my self; am I more interested in the image than the study? salary over providing help? I have been considering other courses such as Chemistry, Biochemistry and Maths. I am a rather introverted person and believe I wouldn't have a problem doing a job in which I would work alone. Although I can deal with people if required. I have also considered not going to uni and simply applying to the police service or as a pilot in the RAF. I feel I would thoroughly enjoy the work of a police officer and would even aspire to become a detective.As you can tell I'm rather confused and not in two minds but about ten. Any help would be much appreciated 

ReputationRep:
    BigBird - you are not alone in your quest for clarity!

Unfortunately we have real challenges in this country in highlighting and promoting good jobs, beyond those that are VERY obvious, some you share above.

Really important that you spend some time looking into what your key strengths are and what you enjoy doing. A good place to start is asking those around you that know and care for you - 'What type of skills do I have?', 'what type of career should I pursue?'

You share a variety of jobs above that have very differing skill sets - so I agree with your 10 minds!

Rather than jobs, try and review different sectors and see which one appeals. Then once you have selected 1/2 sectors, drill down to the leading companies or rising stars within those sectors... Always do what you love and the money will follow - Alan Watts - worth a youtube search!

We could do with some BigBirds in the Energy and Utility sector, so don't forget us!

Very best wishes in your search

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.