The Student Room Group

Does bullying count as an extenuating/mitigating circumstance

Was bullied so severely during GCSCES that the girl was expelled but it massively effected my results, would unis consider this to be extenuating circumstances?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it is. But I'm not entirely sure. It would probably come under mental health issues like depression.
Yes, did you see your Gp or school, they can help and you can get it mentioned on UCAS ref also :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PrinceHarrys
Yes, did you see your Gp or school, they can help and you can get it mentioned on UCAS ref also :smile:

Yes they have mentioned it in my reference but I wasn't sure if it would b considered a proper mitigating circumstance
Original post by Pep7191
Yes they have mentioned it in my reference but I wasn't sure if it would b considered a proper mitigating circumstance

If it was so severe the girl was expelled defo, Idk if you can read your reference but you could check and maybe ask them to explain seriousness

sorry u got bullied :hugs:
what did she do to u for her to get expelled :O??
Reply 6
If it was so severe the girl was expelled defo, Idk if you can read your reference but you could check and maybe ask them to explain seriousness

sorry u got bullied :hugs:

It's difficult because I'm now at a different school than I was for GCSE so they weren't there at the time and they said "after a traumatic bullying experience leading to dissapointing GCSE grades, we are extremely proud of....bla bla bla" so they didn't spell it out but were more vague
Reply 7
Bullying itself I don't believe is although some cases obviously will be.

Theyd more look at the effects e.g. depression and such caused by it. Talk to your referee about it though.
Original post by Pep7191
It's difficult because I'm now at a different school than I was for GCSE so they weren't there at the time and they said "after a traumatic bullying experience leading to dissapointing GCSE grades, we are extremely proud of....bla bla bla" so they didn't spell it out but were more vague

Speak to your referee as napp said, also mention it in your PS too? theres a PS forum on here, the helpers can advise u on how to include it

Good luck! :yep:
Reply 9
yh as long as you can give reasons as to why the bullying at school would've affected the study time you had at home
Speak to your referee as napp said, also mention it in your PS too? theres a PS forum on here, the helpers can advise u on how to include it

Good luck! :yep:

I don't really think it should be mentioned on your personal statement - the incident being on the reference is more than enough. Your personal statement is supposed to focus on the positives.

Quick Reply

Latest