The Student Room Group

Gap year after 3 years of A levels!?

hello
I have just finished 3 years of a levels (i resat year 12). i applied to study audiology and got a place but the university had not received my DBS clearance check in time and so i was released into clearing. i then applied for psychology and am currently holding a place for that (at a different university).

however i am instead considering taking a gap year and then reapplying for audiology for 2017/18 entry. since my grades meet the requirements of the university, i am almost guaranteed a place. however, i am afraid i will end up without an offer or there will be another problem with my DBS and i will not be able to go to uni AGAIN next year.
do you think it's best for me to take a gap year (baring in mind i have already spent 3 years on my a levels) and apply for audiology, keeping in mind the small risk i will not be offered a place. or to continue with psychology and then do a masters in audiology? is it possible for me to start my psychology degree this year and meanwhile apply to start audiology next year? this would allow some security- if i don't get a place in audiology i will just continue with psychology.
opinions are highly appreciated. thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Most universities won't consider an application from some who is already on the 1st year of a degree, whether that's the same course or a different one, so I would probably advise against starting psychology to reapply to audiology next year.
To be honest it depends how much you want to study audiology. I was in a similar situation. I applied to biomedical science and got offers but when I achieved much better grades than I expected I chose to reject my offers and take a gap year to reapply to medicine, knowing that I have a good chance, but still a risk that I wont get in.
For me, medicine was my passion and I wasn't that interested in biomedical science so I chose to take the risk.
However, if you really love psychology too, then go for it and you can go audiology as a Masters.
P.S. As a hearing aid user, yay for audiology!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending