Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Clare College, St. Johns, Trinity College, or Corpus Christi?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Having a hard time picking one of these. These are my favorite ones up to now since I'm looking for a traditional, old-style college (with a nice dining hall). Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of applying for a masters degree. All of these colleges seem very nice, but does one stand out or what are the differences between them?

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    One important question that you should ask is regarding accommodation - graduate students are usually not accommodated within the old bits of the colleges, but often live in hostels or separate buildings offsite. It is worth looking through the various college websites to see what sorts of housing they offer, and how much it costs. All are excellent colleges IMO. I think the Corpus accommodation in Leckhampton is great, but do look at your other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowflake39)
    Having a hard time picking one of these. These are my favorite ones up to now since I'm looking for a traditional, old-style college (with a nice dining hall). Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of applying for a masters degree. All of these colleges seem very nice, but does one stand out or what are the differences between them?

Thanks!
    Adding to what Corpus Admissions's advised......

Not all postgraduate students get college accommodation. And often you won't know until much later if they'd give you a college accommodation or not because it'd depend on how many/what kind of other postgraduate students they need to accommodate. So you may want to consider a possibility of having to rent privately during your course at Cambridge.

And as for 'nice dining hall'...... Many colleges have a lovely historic dining hall and a more modern/casual buttery/cafeteria, the former is only used for formals and the latter for daily meals. So if that's a sort of thing that's important for your decision, you may want to check each college's website for the info. And you CAN see if they're nice enough for you or not because most of colleges have photos of their dining hall/buttery on their website.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for the insight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowflake39)

Thanks!
    At Trinity we have normal meals in the old dining hall. At John's they also have an old dining hall but that's only for formal, they have normal meals in the more modern buttery. Similarly at Clare they have formal in the old hall and the rest of the meals in a separate, more modern buttery. All those you've listed have very nice old dining halls though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.