Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Instruct NHS to reverse their sudden ban on stem cell transplantation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Without prior warning, patients receiving lifesaving treatment for a rare form of blood cancer have had their funding for stem cell transplantation withdrawn by NHS England. A mother of 3 and a doctor are among those who started a course of treatment but are now being denied a stem cell transplant.

This unethical decision has left patients completely in limbo and placed in jeopardy those patients currently waiting to start their treatment. NHS England must reverse this decision immediately and reinstate funding for this treatment which until August was available for patients with this rare form of blood cancer. Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinaemia, which affects about 4,000 people in the UK, is a form of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167441

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this part of whats being cut in order for gay men to not have to use condoms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    Isn't this part of whats being cut in order for gay men to not have to use condoms...
    I beg your pardon :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ca...drug-st8g9jtjh

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense for the NHS to stop funding stem cell transplantation since it would literally be equivalent to allowing thousands of patients to die.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see...

Don't quite know what to say back to that.

It's not like the NHS is standing on it's last limb, therefore it doesn't make any sense to ban stem cell transplantation.

ReputationRep:
    'Cancer treatment stopped to pay for HIV drug'
    can't see anything about gay people. and yeah i know exactly what you meant. straight people dont get hiv do they

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense for the NHS to stop funding stem cell transplantation since it would literally be equivalent to allowing thousands of patients to die.
    It isn't right, especially after going through months of chemo to know that you can't complete your treatment. It's quite evil actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    'Cancer treatment stopped to pay for HIV drug'
    can't see anything about gay people. and yeah i know exactly what you meant. straight people dont get hiv do they
    Its a drug for preventing it, not managing it...
    And as far as the BBC reported it was only being offered to gay men, so while straight people can get HIV they can't get the drug...

ReputationRep:
    Its a drug for preventing it, not managing it...
    And as far as the BBC reported it was only being offered to gay men, so while straight people can get HIV they can't get the drug...
    cant really see this being mentioned in the first part of the article. but i dont have full access to it so

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    :turban:

ReputationRep:
    :tea:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    One should do everything in their power to save someone's life, not the opposite..

ReputationRep:
    You're a prick for saying this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    One should do everything in their power to save someone's life, not the opposite..
    I agree, I'm sad it hasn't even reached 5,000 yet :-( I thought it would by midnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I agree, I'm sad it hasn't even reached 5,000 yet :-( I thought it would by midnight.
    Give it some time

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.