Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Go to Southampton or...?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    No need to fret most people haven't coded before, you'll pick it up easily enough if you're a logical thinker.

Inquire about the possibility of switching from CS to CS and Maths, CS gas a decent amount of maths in it as it is but may as well look into it.

You haven't studied CS yet, give it a bash instead of writing it off before getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'll probably ask them when I get there but to be fair it was there in the clearing options. I just feel like it's too late. I also feel like I'm too overdramatic and clumsy. I just feel like I'm too pushy and petty and I'm pushing my luck. I haven't even seen any hardship yet. But I just don't want to go to uni this year. I'm still upset with the grades I have and I feel like my life is a shambles.

ReputationRep:
    Someone help.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has already prepared my Nigerian passport and she has £2000 in her bank account. I just feel like my life is so much harder than everyone else's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    My mum has already prepared my Nigerian passport and she has £2000 in her bank account. I just feel like my life is so much harder than everyone else's
    LOOOOOOOOOL so you're Nigerian. That explains things somewhat, tell her to chill out ahaha and you too, you're making this situation a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to abuja?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    VictoriaCoolio
    I would strongly advise you to seek professional help concerning your mental state. Starting uni is stressful time for anyone, but it seems to me that you have very high expectations of yourself and others that may not be met, and that you might find this very difficult without skilled support.

Just to be clear:
    • Southampton is a very good uni, and a place there is definitely worth having
    • You will not be 'out of place' in either direction with the grades you now have
    • Retaking your A levels would add very little value to your application to any other uni, and is certainly not feasible alongside studying for your degree
    You need to focus on the 'here and now' and get on with organising yourself for uni - this is about you taking responsibility for yourself and what you do. You'd be well advised to move away from blaming 'circumstances' for any disappointments - we all have to face them, and learning to do so gracefully is part of growing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LOOOOOOOOOL so you're Nigerian. That explains things somewhat, tell her to chill out ahaha and you too, you're making this situation a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess so that's what my friends have said too and my sister. She thinks life is a joke and she thinks she knows what's best for me and everyone thinks I'm being over-dramatic. She says I'm acting like a spoiled white kid. I think the whole family need to chill out. But they've said that no one in this family can trust me anymore and I just feel like all hope is lost. I'm not good enough for Southampton I literally can't be bothered and everyone says Victoria this is a one in a million chance. I don't think she realizes that you don't have get it right the first time in this country. Say I withdrew my clearing offer is too late to apply to other unis through clearing if they have spaces? Also she says I'm bringing the family down and destroying the family name. She's taken away my phones and just forcing me to do things I don't want. My grades aren't good enough everyone thinks I'm hiding something and being stingy but I'm not. My sister says Victoria you'll never be the best but I'm just concerned that I'll be at the bottom of the class and everyone keeps on insulting my intelligence the only thing I had going on for me. And I just want to go further away from home no matter the ranking. My sister says you should be grateful for getting into a top 10 uni for your course why would you want to go somewhere lower down? I just put too much pressure on myself to do well in school to makeup for what I lack socially and appearance wise etc. I just wanted 3A*s and it definitely was not impossible I just want to take charge of my life and go further away from home to like a Scottish Uni but is it too late. My sister says it would be good for me to go to Nigeria so I can experience hardship and she says that I've already experienced enough hardship in my life so why am I acting out now. She says that she only gets 2 hours of sleep a day so I have nothing to worry about in life. I just had a very well thought out plan and it didn't go to plan. She says I've been given so many chances and I should stop taking liberties and just accept. She says everyone makes mistakes in life and you need to accept that. She says you can never be the best you're not Chinese this is how people kills themselves over grades and stuff and commit suicide when they don't get the grades they want. She says anxiety and stress is a white mans disease and she says mental health is just a state of mind and I am the controller of my mind. She says she failed her UKCAT and shes moving on she says she's jealous of me because she only probably apply to 3 med schools this year and she can't wait for me to leave the house because I'm too unorganised and I'm taking up space in her room and she's such an evil cow. I don't think my parents understand the benefits of a gap year and the importance of these grades. Is it too late to go somewhere else through clearing because my student finance has already been arranged but the clearing deadline is 20th September but there are still clearing vacancies? Is there anyway to apply through clearing without your parents knowing? But I still feel like no place in this family and no trusts me anymore because I keep on lying and they always say stop bringing down the family name just accept this Victoria after all the money we've spent on you. Stop being stingy. My mum says if after 3 weeks I'm not settled down in Southampton she'll send me away to Nigeria. My actions speak louder than words I guess I'm just painting a picture out of myself that I'm obssessive and stalkerish. I'm not even making an effort to move on. I just don't want to move on I haven't even started packing yet. I just feel like my family have too much faith in me. I just feel like I'm pissing everyone off and they think my life is a joke and they're saying my life is basically over and I'm bringing down the family name. I just want to go further away from home now. I've gone over on my phone bill by £200 and we're sorting it out today. And I've been forced to go clothes shopping. I've actually found out from the therapist that because I had a physcotic episode on 11th June I didn't have to sit for my exams until November but my mum and myself forced me to sit for my exams they could have moved the exam dates to a time more suitable for me. They also say that you're a black woman when life has wronged you you get back up.

(Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Are you going to abuja?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope I'm going to a village in Ekiti. They've prepared my Nigerian passport since the 10th. My sister said she would even pay for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    VictoriaCoolio
    I would strongly advise you to seek professional help concerning your mental state. Starting uni is stressful time for anyone, but it seems to me that you have very high expectations of yourself and others that may not be met, and that you might find this very difficult without skilled support.

Just to be clear:
    • Southampton is a very good uni, and a place there is definitely worth having
    • You will not be 'out of place' in either direction with the grades you now have
    • Retaking your A levels would add very little value to your application to any other uni, and is certainly not feasible alongside studying for your degree
    You need to focus on the 'here and now' and get on with organising yourself for uni - this is about you taking responsibility for yourself and what you do. You'd be well advised to move away from blaming 'circumstances' for any disappointments - we all have to face them, and learning to do so gracefully is part of growing up.
    That's what my sister says you're 18 take responsibility for your actions and stop making messes that other people have to clean up. I've been told by everyone to stop blaming people for disappointments and my cousins say everyone makes mistakes and we all have to face them. I just feel like I'm not making an effort to turn around my life. And my sister says in life there is no do over button. She goes to one of the top 3 schools. She was upset when she got her GCSEs so she focused all her attention on doing well in her AS and is now trying to do well in her A2s. I was upset when I got my GCSEs and tried to do well in my AS but only focused my attention on maths and ended up getting A*abc. WIth A* in maths A2 and a in maths AS a b in physics AS and c in chemistry AS. And obviously I was disappointed. Then for my A2 I stepped things up a notch I was predicted A*A*A and 4/5 my offers came through and I was excited but then I got rejected from Imperial which was very heartbreaking since I've wanted to go there since year 10. I did work hard obviously throughout the year but I just began to struggle with certain maths topics like M2/M3. But then towards May time I just didn't prepare well and I just got too complacent and began to just get too lazy. My offer for Southampton was A*AB. And my offer for Bristol was AAA which was my firm. When I saw A*BD I literally wanted the ground to swallow me up. Now my grades are A*BB for A2 which still isn't good enough compared to what I've been doing in the class and how I've been doing all year. I just feel like if I can't handle the pressures of A levels I won't be able to handle the degree. And I'm just concerned about money and making friends and doing better and being at the bottom of the class. When I got my A level results I cried for weeks. These past 3 months since exam time have been difficult. A lot of people from my school has like A*A*A and there all going to Southampton too. I just can't and my mum says if I try to seek any mental health help at Southampton she'll get pissed off because this stuff all goes on your record and she'll try and bundle me to Nigeria. I just want a lower down uni so I can stress less. And everyone is saying you have to maintain this level of stress and the proffessionals are saying it's gonna be 10x worse when you get to uni. The jump from GCSEs to A level is massive and I couldn't handle that. So I'm expecting the jump from A levels to degree to be massive. My aunt says do whatever makes you happy. And i just feel like I'm being forced into something I don't want. I just feel like I deserve a year to clean up my act. My sister says she's seen people go from 10A*s to BBBB at AS when they get too complacent. I just don't know what to do. I just feel like an airhead and like I have nothing upstairs.

ReputationRep:
    No I've left it too late I'll have to contact the universities directly to apply to them through clearing because the official date for Clearing 2016 applications through UCAS to end is 20th September 2016 – after this you’ll need to contact universities directly. How is that done and would that be difficult?

ReputationRep:
    I don't meet there maths requirements. I did ask a couple of days agoa and they said if they have spaces and if I meet the requirements but at that time my enhanced grading didn't come through so I asked them to leave it and today I confirmed my place for Computer Science and now I'm gonna ask them tochange course. I've rung them up so many times I feel like I'm building up a bad reputation for myself as a trouble making and I've gone over on my phone bill by £100 even though I have unlimited calls and I've just cracked my brand new phone that my mum bpught me so I'm pretty screwed.
    Update the phone bill problem wasn't my fault it was my mum who went over on her side the phone bill so I'm in the clear.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you do think I'll be okay with computer science. Even though I've never coded. Also what to do about my phone situation? Because I'm £100 over on my phone bill and I've just cracked my new phone.
    The phone bill wasn't my fault and I've almost sorted out the cracked phone.

ReputationRep:
    No I've left it too late I'll have to contact the universities directly to apply to them through clearing because the official date for Clearing 2016 applications through UCAS to end is 20th September 2016 – after this you’ll need to contact universities directly. How is that done and would that be difficult?
    You can't apply for a place through Clearing because you have a place at Southampton. It is far too late now to change, so it's a case of either you go to Southampton, or you take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You can't apply for a place through Clearing because you have a place at Southampton. It is far too late now to change, so it's a case of either you go to Southampton, or you take a gap year.
    Okay its cool. She can't take me to Nigeria. It's either Computer Science at Southampton or a gap year. And say I take a gap year I don't think I can go back to my old school because the police will issue me with a warning because I keep on calling them up but I believe so I'll have to move schools again. Say I find the course difficult and I drop out and waste £9000 what do I do? I just feel like the jump from A level to degree is massive and say I can't handle it what do I?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to go somewhere lower down so I can be the star pupil and play a bit more. I just feel like I don't deserve this place.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to take a gap year and do some more Maths, Further Maths, Physics and chemistry exams and then defer

ReputationRep:
    I'm 100% set on going back to school. But it's way too late. My friends have said I'm too good for Southampton and I should be setting my sights on Imperial or Cambridge or Oxford or Bristol or St Andrews. I had a physcotic breakdown. But I know now for sure what I want I think I'm set on taking a gap year and figuring out if I want to study maths or physics or computer science or actuarial science. All of their money has been wasted. If they kick me out of the house where do I go? And is it possible to send off a UCAS application without parents? Also should I just move out and move to London because I'm from Kent? I'm 18 so I should start taking responsibility for myself and I guess because everyone says I haven't even seen any hardships in life. My family don't even know me anymore or trust me. Can someone adopt me? I'm just not happy in my life or with my family and with the way my sister and brother have been beating up and abusing me. I'm not happy with the way my mum threatened to kill me with a cable when I was younger. I'm not happy with the way my sister keeps picking on my insecurities. I'm not happy with the way I'm so screwed. I'm not happy with the way my dad keeps all of my files and documents and takes my money and never gives it back. I'm not happy with the way my parents have molested me and done all these evil things in my life. I'm not happy with the way that my aunt flew in from Nigeria and is using me for holiday. I'm not happy with the way my mum says that's she's lived her life to the fullest and I'm only disappointing myself. I don't like the way my only friend is blackmailing me to block her number. I'm not happy with the way my dad abandons me and the way everyone keeps saying I have to go this year or Nigeria. Can someone adopt me please? Everyone would love to have a daughter like me. Everyone says stop being immature you are 18. Or can you someone please refer me to youth hostel? It's all because I never bother to correct people and my little sister is a *****. You only live once so I shouldn't have any regrets. I'm just too unstable and I want to run away from home. Help!!!
    Why are you so obsessed with resisting? I told you a week or so ago to just move on but since you haven't little reality check for you: You're not even going to be anywhere near 'to good' for Southampton, in reality there will be far many better applicants with higher grades than you. So your friends are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

This has been made into its own thread and moved to mental health for now, this is where it seemed to fit best- particularly the last few posts. Please keep discussion in here on topic though, hope things work out for you OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Hey guys,

This has been made into its own thread and moved to mental health for now, this is where it seemed to fit best- particularly the last few posts. Please keep discussion in here on topic though, hope things work out for you OP
    Thank you I just wish I had a do over button in life. I made the best out of a worst situation. I just took everything too far. It's not that bad I guess. Apparently I'm responsible for my own happiness. I feel like I deserve a life without mistakes. My sister said if I'm not done packing today she'll pay for my ticket to Nigeria herself. I feel like she's jealous of me.

(Original post by alexp98)
    Why are you so obsessed with resisting? I told you a week or so ago to just move on but since you haven't little reality check for you: You're not even going to be anywhere near 'to good' for Southampton, in reality there will be far many better applicants with higher grades than you. So your friends are wrong.
    It's true I'm probably going to be one of the worst people in my class. I've just had so many opportunities in life and I'm just striving for academic excellency. My sister says I l haven't even seen any hardships yet. I'm always living in the past and the future. She says everyone makes mistakes and we all have to live with that. Btw you guys on the TSR don't even know me. I'm so hard working and studious I could have gotten 3A*s if this hadn't happened.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I just wish I had a do over button in life. I made the best out of a worst situation. I just took everything too far. It's not that bad I guess. Apparently I'm responsible for my own happiness. I feel like I deserve a life without mistakes. My sister said if I'm not done packing today she'll pay for my ticket to Nigeria herself. I feel like she's jealous of me.

It's true I'm probably going to be one of the worst people in my class. I've just had so many opportunities in life and I'm just striving for academic excellency. My sister says I l haven't even seen any hardships yet. I'm always living in the past and the future. She says everyone makes mistakes and we all have to live with that. Btw you guys on the TSR don't even know me. I'm so hard working and studious I could have gotten 3A*s if this hadn't happened.
    But it did happen, so you're not good enough for oxbridge and should be greatful because Southampton is incredible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    But it did happen, so you're not good enough for oxbridge and should be greatful because Southampton is incredible!
    I'm still thinking about deferring because I need to be mentally ready because if I crash and burn at Southampton it will be 10x worse and the course is not for the feeble minded and dropping out of would be disastrous. I need to be 100% sure about everything before I go into things

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.