Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

fresher's week no friends due to boring flatmates

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    i've moved into my accommodation three days now, my flat mates always stay in their room. i leave my door open, i try making small talks to make them comfortable but they still lock themselves away. my fresher's is tomorrow and now i have nobody to go with. i've walked around but no one, to meet still. i'm so bored all i do is move on my own and may not attend fresher's because i have no ne to go with and i cant go clubbing by myself for the first time lol. what do i do man, some please give me advice

ReputationRep:
    So your roomies staying in and not going anywhere?

Go alone and get mingling

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    So your roomies staying in and not going anywhere?

Go alone and get mingling

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yup pretty much, i could but it be better to go with some gives u a bit more confidence

Go and make friends elsewhere, join societies etc. At the beginning freshers are very open to making friends and then after a few weeks it slows down. I always thought halls were a bit better as there are more people to meet.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I would just go on your own. Everyone is in the same position as you, no one knows anyone or has a set group of friends yet. I wouldn't be worried about not having anyone to go with. Just have a few drinks which will give you a confidence boost and I'm sure you will get chatting and make some new friends who you can enjoy the rest of freshers with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vdm1)
    yup pretty much, i could but it be better to go with some gives u a bit more confidence
    Of course its good for your confidence. But think of how many students are going, I can assure you many will be alone. Just go and fib if anyone asks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just try and make some friends on your course. You might have introductory lectures and stuff where you can meet them. I understand how difficult it is to actually make friends who will hang out with you outside of the lecture/ talk but you might aswell try. Most people are really open to making friends in the next few weeks so just be as outgoing as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vdm1)
    i've moved into my accommodation three days now, my flat mates always stay in their room. i leave my door open, i try making small talks to make them comfortable but they still lock themselves away. my fresher's is tomorrow and now i have nobody to go with. i've walked around but no one, to meet still. i'm so bored all i do is move on my own and may not attend fresher's because i have no ne to go with and i cant go clubbing by myself for the first time lol. what do i do man, some please give me advice
    Hi vdm1

I would just echo the advice that the others have offered, really. I wouldn't be worrying yet, freshers hasn't even started and the majority of first years will arrive this weekend. You'll have plenty of opportunities to meet people and make friends throughout the week, especially at your course inductions. Perhaps go along to a society taster session for something you're really interested in or something that you've never tried before.

Your flatmates are probably feeling the same, might just be really shy - keep talking with them, they'll open up soon!

Hope this helps man, let us know how it goes
    Tim - NTU TSR Rep

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.