The Student Room Group

Why do White Brits do worse than most minorities in education?

Scroll to see replies

It has been well publicised that white working class boys in particular significantly underperform compared to those of other backgrounds. I agree with those saying that the work ethic isn't as strong in some white working class families as perhaps it is in many Asian families, esp Indian and Chinese. Some working class white kids have parents who don't see the point of school and therefore don't encourage their child to do well.
Asians in general put more weight on academic education, stricter parents, less social life

If it was the other way round it would be racism obv :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
The only accurate sampling there is for British and Pakistani students because they have 2376 and 512 students respectively but I mean look at all the others, only 50 Indian students??? WTF there's a lot more than that in this country. Also the Afghani and Gypsy sample is way too small to consider.

This sample set is flawed, maybe British students do perform worse but you can't prove it or even suggest it with the data you've got here.

Probably because Pakistanis and White british are the biggest groups in Manchester, I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ksj.11
Probably because Pakistanis and White british are the biggest groups in Manchester, I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That maybe true but Manchester has a population of 600 000 so this sample is probably just 2 or 3 schools
The left-wing teachers focus on the minorities so they don't appear "racist", leaving the poor white kids behind.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
The only accurate sampling there is for British and Pakistani students because they have 2376 and 512 students respectively but I mean look at all the others, only 50 Indian students??? WTF there's a lot more than that in this country. Also the Afghani and Gypsy sample is way too small to consider.

This sample set is flawed, maybe British students do perform worse but you can't prove it or even suggest it with the data you've got here.

Its not flawed because it just represents the figures as they are for Manchester, its the OP on the way he uses the data. The data I posted is official and for the whole of the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
You know the data is flawed/ not representative when it shows chinese students being in the median in terms of grades in 2013................

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably because if two Asian people come here and have a baby is it British, Mixed or Asian? And so on for each subclass.
Reply 48
Non white people have to work harder and get more qualifications to get the same jobs compared to white people so they have to get better qualifications.

Instead of comparing exam results between the different races, compare the jobs ad income they get.
Original post by Ravenous
About 50-70% of Pakistanis in the UK are Mirpuris, hence the reason the overall pass rate nationally is low. But in places where Mirpuris make up a smaller percent of the Pakistrani population (e.g. London, Manchester). the pass rate isn't that bad and is above average. There were even 5 London boroughs (Croydon, Ealing, Greenwich, Tower Hamlets, Hackney) last year where the Pakistani 5+ A-C grades pass rate was above the Indian one. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/327406/response/812041/attach/html/2/Final%20V3.xlsx.html

you can always find variation in an odd localised example- your same table shows clearly both in Inner London and Outer London pakistanis are outperformed by those of indian ethnicity, especially when you look at those not elgible for free school meals . you cant blame all your issues on regional bias from a generation ago - most of these uk pakistanis have never even been to kashmir, equally many migrants from various states in india did not arrive here as maharajas in gold carriages, they had as little in their pockets as their pakistani counterparts, as as their chinese, korean and originally, jewish counter parts too i suppose .

id say those pakistanis that do buck the trend and tend to do well are those few that escape the backward insular islamified communities governed by the imams and sheikhs - who instead embrace the benefits of a western education , career path and lifestyle, i have met a few , not all pakistanis are mohammed idolising, west hating preachy social misfits or future IS recruits. some follow their parents original ambition of bettering themselves by coming to the uk.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89

Of course you also get some ethnic minorities that perform below average academically in this country. Perhaps they (or their ancestors) came here as refugees from war-torn countries, or as cheap labour etc. in which case performing well academically might not be as culturally high up on their list of priorities.

a lot of whatabouterry here - probably the most 'war affected group ever to come her e in recent times were the jews, and they have risen to a level above the chinese in terms of academic acheivement. pakistanis, somalis, arabs etc geenrally have arrived as economic migrants like is the standard pattern of migration but have not acheived the same academic heights, they are bleow most other ethnic groups, espec those of non-islamic culture. - you can make of that what you will. iraqis and afganis too have underachieved but at least they do have the excuse of a major war to flee. i suppose you could look at the jews and muslims of various nationality and ask the question why immigrants of two very similar abrahmic faiths are so polar opposite in terms of acheivment globally
A lack of ambition and drive, unfortunately.
Imagine being an uneducated Chinese kid in the UK, that must suck so bad.
Original post by Chakede
a lot of whatabouterry here - probably the most 'war affected group ever to come her e in recent times were the jews, and they have risen to a level above the chinese in terms of academic acheivement. pakistanis, somalis, arabs etc geenrally have arrived as economic migrants like is the standard pattern of migration but have not acheived the same academic heights, they are bleow most other ethnic groups, espec those of non-islamic culture. - you can make of that what you will. iraqis and afganis too have underachieved but at least they do have the excuse of a major war to flee. i suppose you could look at the jews and muslims of various nationality and ask the question why immigrants of two very similar abrahmic faiths are so polar opposite in terms of acheivment globally

I think in the case of Jews, we have to think to ourselves that, yes they were fleeing war in order to come here, but they weren't fleeing the country of their ethnic origin where they are a majority, they were fleeing Europe.

Of all the Jews that exist, which ones would have been in Europe to begin with? Probably the more academically successful ones.*
Original post by tazarooni89
I think in the case of Jews, we have to think to ourselves that, yes they were fleeing war in order to come here, but they weren't fleeing the country of their ethnic origin where they are a majority, they were fleeing Europe.

Of all the Jews that exist, which ones would have been in Europe to begin with? Probably the more academically successful ones.*

welll, iassume like you, the non eruopean jews were mostly exterminated a long time ago when the caliphates took over the middle east. hence why now the europe origin jews are the most widespread.
but the jews that came largely form eastern europe to uk, were not wealthy or educated, many lived below the poverty line in east london - the point being inside a generation, they rose to the highest echelons of academic and economic acheivement . they have done this in most parts of the world, in stark contrast tot he pakistani, middle eastern,north african islamic immigrants even muslims from europe albania and balkans. but when you look at the basis of their faiths - there isnt a great deal of difference
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Asians in general put more weight on academic education, stricter parents, less social life

If it was the other way round it would be racism obv :colonhash:

Mmmm it's very interesting that when white people are falling behind in something people try to come up with rational explanations rather than immediately jumping on it being something to do with the way their race is treated.
Original post by Chakede
when you look at the basis of their faiths - there isnt a great deal of difference

In fact nothing common but monotheism.
Original post by Chakede
welll, iassume like you, the non eruopean jews were mostly exterminated a long time ago when the caliphates took over the middle east. hence why now the europe origin jews are the most widespread.
but the jews that came largely form eastern europe to uk, were not wealthy or educated, many lived below the poverty line in east london - the point being inside a generation, they rose to the highest echelons of academic and economic acheivement . they have done this in most parts of the world, in stark contrast tot he pakistani, middle eastern,north african islamic immigrants even muslims from europe albania and balkans. but when you look at the basis of their faiths - there isnt a great deal of difference

What do you think the reason for it is then?
Original post by Cornflakes1688
probably because their parent brought them to the country for a better chance at life so they are more willing to make the most of it whereas the brits have had 1st world privileges all their lives so probably see it as just take it for granted, i think? or it could be some cultures are stricter for example indian kids are likely to be belitted if they don't do well in their exams and made to feel inferior by their indian peers in the community and their parent show off etc. so they could be trying to avoid that whereas, pardon my french but white british people seem to be more easy going and it's more like 'do your best' rather than a competition, correct me if i'm wrong?????

100% accurate mate.
Decline in white anglo morality in favour of what is convenient and functional in the moment. All about short term jobs, immediate gratification through alcohol, computer games, cigarettes, football. There doesn't seem to be the same spirituality given to food, family life and education which you see in most of the non western world and the mediterranean. Plus the metropolitian/jewish elite try and exploit this and try and further exclude native Brits from jobs/higher education (actually even min wage work as well where they demonise white trash in favour of 'hard working' slavs)

Quick Reply

Latest