Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Personal Statement Checked

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have almost completed my application for Physics courses starting in 2017. The problem is that my circumstances mean my personal statement very difficult to write, especially when compared to an 18 year old's fresh out of college, as I've got another 5 years of life to write in to it, as well as extra information such as "Why now?", why I did not study when I was younger, and more.

Is there anywhere/one I can send my personal statement to to get it read by someone who knows what to look for, instead of just getting family members/ friends who know nothing about personal statements to read it over?

ReputationRep:
    Life experience is great but your PS should mainly be about why physics and what you've done to develop your specific interests in the subject so it won't be very much different from anyone else's PS. You don't need to talk about why now in too much detail etc. Let your referee deal with that.

Please do not send your PS to people on the internet you don't know. Your friends/family etc will be able to help with things like spelling, grammar and flow of statement. We offer a free review service for when you have your final draft. Try our PS builder tool as well.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 1/3 of the draft I have so far is spent explaining why I love physics and what it is that makes me want to study it. Only one paragraph lists my work experience because it is nothing major, written as, "(mod deleted... don't post all or part of your PS in a public forum)."

I've briefly touched on why now, and it is built into my summary of my education up until leaving college early. I see your point about letting my referee address that factor.

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student, I can say that I just put in as much as I could think of as a draft and just kept all of the relevant stuff. I'm applying for Zoology so I kept my animal shelter experience in there and my love for science, other irrelevant information (previous office jobs etc.) I left out. As for why I choose now to study, I just explained my full situation, how I was unsure about my future until recently but kept it short and sweet so I could move on to the more important points. But if you're not sure what to add in and leave out, just write everything you can think of and then just remove what doesn't seem relevant (remember the word count!) that's how I worked through mine and it's been approved so I must have done something right haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradPennick)
    Roughly 1/3 of the draft I have so far is spent explaining why I love physics and what it is that makes me want to study it. Only one paragraph lists my work experience because it is nothing major, written as, "....."

I've briefly touched on why now, and it is built into my summary of my education up until leaving college early. I see your point about letting my referee address that factor.
    Don't quote exact parts of your PS. It risks causing it to be flagged for plagiarism. Delete the quote. And you will need to reword it in your actual PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit my post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed you've already done it for me :') thanks very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is the best character in Friends
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.