The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

UCLAN uni, accommodation and life

I'm looking into my uni choices and uclan has really appealed to me!
I'd like to study children's nursing for sept 2017.
What's your option of UCLAN itself in regards to the actual university, halls and nightlife?
Is Preston a good city to keep busy?
Any help would be amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llou26
What's your option of UCLAN itself in regards to the actual university, halls and nightlife?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spent just over 2 years there and for me it was a good uni. I still live near there and I think theres always plenty to do, it is a small city though. Not the clubbing type but preston has plenty to choose from and is generally cheaper than other cities.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by llou26

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university is nothing to write home about but Preston is a pretty cheap place to live
true that:P I was so shocked when i originally discovered my friends hall's rent was £20 extra a week compared to mine.
Reply 4
Where did you stay? I'm looking for ensuite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llou26

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm in my third year at UCLan and I'm really enjoying it here. I lived in halls in my first year and shared a bathroom with 6 other students. Even though I was annoyed sometimes by other people's mess and my flatmates waking me up at 4am, I'm really glad I chose halls because I made loads of friends and I still see my old flatmates now even though we don't live together!

Preston has loads of choice for halls, too. You can choose between having an en suite bathroom or sharing and all the halls are basically on campus so you don't have to mess about getting the bus to uni or anything.

The uni itself is great (in my opinion!) and it was the only one I looked round on the open day and felt really comfortable with. It's not huge but because everything is so close together it feels much more like a student community than larger city campuses do. The Students' Union really care about the opinions of students and try to make changes for us all the time. The Student Affairs Committee are all recent graduates and they get very involved in things going on around campus so it always feels like you can approach the people who are running things for you.

Preston has a few nightclubs which are really popular and there's something for everyone. Evoque is probably the biggest and then there's Cameo and Vinyl for the cheesy stuff and Warehouse if you prefer rock music! Preston on the whole is a cheaper night out than most places as well.

Overall, I can honestly say I can't find any faults with UCLan. Then again, I come from Burnley which is quite a small town so moving to Preston was sort of an upgrade for me. I know people who come from places like Liverpool and London who were a little underwhelmed. My best advice would be to come to an open day because there's no better way to get a feel for a uni than seeing it for yourself. The next open day is 12th November! :smile:

If you have any other questions let me know

Molly
How's the food situation like at Preston? Are there a lot of choices for restaurants? Any grocery stores nearby?
Original post by Coolsbreeze
How's the food situation like at Preston? Are there a lot of choices for restaurants? Any grocery stores nearby?

There are places to eat in town! There are restaurants like Turtle Bay then there are little cafes and a McDonald's and Wetherspoons. Also, there's an Aldi very close to campus which is where I did my shopping in my first year (very cheap!). There are also pleeeeenty of takeaways if you want to order food :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending