The Student Room Group

Human Biology Practicals required?!

Hey!
I've been thinking of doing human biology as an a-level but i was wondering if practicals are required and where I would be able to do them as my sixth form does not offer Human Biology as an option...
Original post by JenyR
Hey!
I've been thinking of doing human biology as an a-level but i was wondering if practicals are required and where I would be able to do them as my sixth form does not offer Human Biology as an option...

Are you a student in English state school education? If so.......
Human biology is no longer available to students, it has been withdrawn as part of the process of A level reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Are you a student in English state school education? If so.......
Human biology is no longer available to students, it has been withdrawn as part of the process of A level reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm...I go to Alperton Community School but they don't offer it so Im gonna take the subject externally at a College.
Original post by JenyR
Erm...I go to Alperton Community School but they don't offer it so Im gonna take the subject externally at a College.

My point was I don't think human biology A level exists anymore for new candidates unless you can study the whole AS and A2 material and sit all of the exams next summer.
I think OCR are the only examiner still offering it and this is the last year. There is a practical exam in AS and a coursework/practical task in A2. If a college has offered to teach you the course then I would expect them to administer and mark the practical components.
There are a number of centres that do science practical exams privately but they are very expensive (£1000 for a new A level practical endorsement at Campbell Harris) and they may not have enough customers for human biology to make it worth running them.
E.g. Campbell Harris, London Brooke's, Duff Miller, pascals College, http://www.thetutorialfoundation.co.uk/examination-centre/, ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
My point was I don't think human biology A level exists anymore for new candidates unless you can study the whole AS and A2 material and sit all of the exams next summer.
I think OCR are the only examiner still offering it and this is the last year. There is a practical exam in AS and a coursework/practical task in A2. If a college has offered to teach you the course then I would expect them to administer and mark the practical components.
There are a number of centres that do science practical exams privately but they are very expensive (£1000 for a new A level practical endorsement at Campbell Harris) and they may not have enough customers for human biology to make it worth running them.
E.g. Campbell Harris, London Brooke's, Duff Miller, pascals College, http://www.thetutorialfoundation.co.uk/examination-centre/, ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would I be able to study AS only? :/
No i am thinking of doing it externally as I can't afford to do Chemistry externally. It requires practical endorsement as well? :/
Original post by JenyR
Would I be able to study AS only? :/
No i am thinking of doing it externally as I can't afford to do Chemistry externally. It requires practical endorsement as well? :/

You'll be lucky to find anywhere teaching OCR AS Human Biology but if you did it would most likely be in one of the private tutorial colleges already listed and yes there is a practical exam unit to be completed.
The new biology and chemistry AS levels assume you will have completed some practical work but they are tested only by examination. If you successfully completed either of these privately it might be possible to convince your school to let you complete the full A level with them. All new science A levels include the endorsement of practical skills, while this doesn't contribute to the A level grade, the majority of universities I've looked at require a pass in the practical.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest