Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Evidence of residency when applying for second degree

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    So I'm an EU national who's lived in England for over 15 years. I've been asked for my addresses over the past 5 years and evidence covering that period to prove it. The issue is that I've lived in several addresses during those past 5 years as I was at Uni and then working in the past 1 year. The only acceptable form of evidence that I can provide is a bank statement covering the past 5 years showing regular transactions but the bank says it can only have my current address on it and SFE ask for evidence of all addresses over the past 5 years. What I am not sure about is why they can't use evidence from themselves as I received student finance for 4 of the past 5 years showing that I was attending a full time UK course?

    Is there any other way I can prove my residency?

    Were you living in any uni accommodation?

    On your student finance account, you should also have electronic copies of old letters (ie, payment schedules from when you were at uni previously) which have your old address on. They might work?
    • Thread Starter

    I do have access to the old letters but the people I've spoken to on the phone say that they need something from the list of documents they specified. The only thing I am able to get is a bank statement but they don't think they can have all my addresses over the past 5 years on it, just my current address.

    The documents they specify are:
    Council tax bills
    Letter from your local council or housing association
    Utility bills
    Tax return
    Original paper bank statements

    If you’re under 18 you can provide:
    Letters from school
    Child Tax Credits letter
    Young person account statement
    Exam certificates
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.