The Student Room Group

I'm getting kicked out of my bio and chem A level courses what do i do??

I think I'm here in a panic so any advice would be very much appreciated :smile: At the start of the year we had a mock exams and after getting 2 Us in chem and bio i was told today they're not going to let me onto the A2 courses. They said they're fine with me starting year 12 again either at my current sixth form or somewhere else but I really have no idea what to do.
For chem i admitedly didn't revise, but for bio i revised all of the basics and most of the questions i lost marks on were all because i wasn't specific enough. i was very upset because i had done a load of notes already for A2 bio and i felt like i was getting back on track until they told me this, now i don't know what to do and very dramatically i feel as if i have no future really. the only course i have now is spanish and i don't think 1 AS level can get you very far. :s-smilie:
Original post by Uyirpeariel
I think I'm here in a panic so any advice would be very much appreciated :smile: At the start of the year we had a mock exams and after getting 2 Us in chem and bio i was told today they're not going to let me onto the A2 courses. They said they're fine with me starting year 12 again either at my current sixth form or somewhere else but I really have no idea what to do.
For chem i admitedly didn't revise, but for bio i revised all of the basics and most of the questions i lost marks on were all because i wasn't specific enough. i was very upset because i had done a load of notes already for A2 bio and i felt like i was getting back on track until they told me this, now i don't know what to do and very dramatically i feel as if i have no future really. the only course i have now is spanish and i don't think 1 AS level can get you very far. :s-smilie:

Can you re-apply for the course?If you find yourself back onto the course then put some harder work into it.
Don't just revise basic but take the revision deeper, if you are serious about taking these subjects higher then you are going to have to put the work into it.
Original post by Uyirpeariel

OK first of all, don't panic. Easier said than done I know but please don't panic.

Here are some options:

1) If you feel you want to go on to A2 and your current school won't let you, then you should make enquiries right away if there are other places which might accept you especially at extremely short notice into the start of a new academic year. Your best opportunities may well be with private "tutorial colleges" e.g. Abbey College, MPW etc which usually accept people in your situation and could do one year A-Level retakes. This wouldn't be a cheap option though.

2) If no other centres can feasibly accept you another option would be to take the exams as a private candidate whereby you would teach yourself Chemistry and Biology in your own time (and pace) and apply to enter for the exams when ready. Tutorial colleges are again your best bet. You would of course need to pay exam entry fees and depending on the module you do, would need to do a practical exam. Aside from the fees cost, you may well incur expenses additionally if you required a private tutor to guide especially given how poorly you performed. Which then leads onto my next point.....

3) You need to ask yourself genuinely why you got the marks you did and whether this was purely down to not revising, difficulty with the course material or indeed a lack of interest. Would you be in the same position again next time the exam took place? If you find it difficult then would you be able to make up the deficit in this year or maybe require an extra year to catchup as it were? If you decide to retake year 12 you may also be better off in another environment as without probing or knowing you well, you could find it upsetting either being in an environment where you were effectively forced by teachers to retake the year and a year behind your friends. Being in a new environment gives you a fresh slate and a new beginning (indeed might your poor performance have been attributed to your engagement within that particular environment? A change of venue could be immensely beneficial).

4) Is there something personal/healthwise impacted your studies? If so you should get this checked out and addressed asap so as to avoid failing again and indeed this could be used as mitigation when making applications if universities ask why you took an extra year to complete your A-Levels.

5) Depending on what programme you are applying for, you need to check how potential universities and admissions tutors would view you retaking your A-levels or taking an extra year to complete which could be an issue for say medical schools, dental schools or Oxbridge etc.

6) If ultimately you are not enjoying the subjects, it could be well worth your time simply switching courses now rather than forcing yourself to enjoy them.

A lot of things to consider there. Personally if it were me and I were confident or making up the deficit in a short space of time, I would go to another college and go on to A2 there. However, this has to be YOUR decision and ultimately what is best for YOU not this for this year but in the long-term.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
You got 2 Us you should retake year 12 with subjects that you actually like...
Reply 4
Try at a different college, they're still enrolling .. Good luck :smile:

In my opinion, it's not worth you wasting a year because you failed mocks and the exams aren't until the summer anyway. It's still September. Revise, work your ass off and earn those grades! Use this as a lesson. Go enrol at college!
(edited 7 years ago)
Get a rich sugar daddy husband
Thank you everyone for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending