The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help.

So I've just started writing my personal statement, I've looked at online help and the TSR personal statement builder but I've found it so hard to start from scratch and just want to know what everyone thinks is useful to include or certain topics/questions I could focus on in my personal statement.
Reply 1
Original post by student_advice
So I've just started writing my personal statement, I've looked at online help and the TSR personal statement builder but I've found it so hard to start from scratch and just want to know what everyone thinks is useful to include or certain topics/questions I could focus on in my personal statement.

Once you have 100 posts, you can use the free TSR Personal Statement review service! Try to get involved - you've already posted in Fashion, so maybe you could post more there about your opinion, or see if you can help anyone with their homework. You can use the PS service if you have under 100 posts, but it will take longer to get a review, and if the service is really busy then people with 100+ posts will be prioritised.

The main focus of your PS should be why you want to study the subject. This should be around 70% of the statement.
This might include: books you've read; topics you've enjoyed in previous study; any relevant work experience; online (YouTube/TED/similar) talks/lectures you've listened to; the reasons that motivated you to take the subject initially; any parts of the course that you're most looking forward to studying.

The other part of your PS will be extra-curricular activities. This is things like hobbies, sports, musical instruments etc. Try to make this relevant to your course if possible, as they don't just want a list of "I play tennis in summer, but in winter I like lacrosse. On Wednesdays I go swimming."
Original post by Juno
Once you have 100 posts, you can use the free TSR Personal Statement review service! Try to get involved - you've already posted in Fashion, so maybe you could post more there about your opinion, or see if you can help anyone with their homework. You can use the PS service if you have under 100 posts, but it will take longer to get a review, and if the service is really busy then people with 100+ posts will be prioritised.

The main focus of your PS should be why you want to study the subject. This should be around 70% of the statement.
This might include: books you've read; topics you've enjoyed in previous study; any relevant work experience; online (YouTube/TED/similar) talks/lectures you've listened to; the reasons that motivated you to take the subject initially; any parts of the course that you're most looking forward to studying.

The other part of your PS will be extra-curricular activities. This is things like hobbies, sports, musical instruments etc. Try to make this relevant to your course if possible, as they don't just want a list of "I play tennis in summer, but in winter I like lacrosse. On Wednesdays I go swimming."

Above post is golden. Not much to add Other than reinstate, be explicative about your drive and motivation about the subject. And give in brief examples that support this following
Thank you very much! This has really helped me in terms of what direction I need to take my PS in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending