Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I bother applying to Oxford?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I was initially excited about applying to Oxford since it's been my dream school for so long (I'm from the US, and the liberal arts centered education here makes the tutorial system seem like heaven), but I'm not sure my scores are up to par. As a US student I don't have any English qualifications or GCSE scores, but I have the international qualifications.

I think my college readiness exams are up to par (36 (all sections) ACT, 1500 (790M/710R) new SAT), but my AP scores aren't great (three 5's, 4 4's, one 3) and my SAT II scores are 800 Math II and 760 Physics, with Physics being kinda low.
    I have a load of ECs, I put them in a reddit thread along with some other qualifications (

If I apply it would be for Computer Science (I average 80-90 on MAT but hopefully I can raise that in the coming month). Is it worth applying? Are my scores too low for Oxford?

(Original post by woodworks)
    Your MAT score alone would make you a very competitive candidate, if you can reproduce that in the actual test. The American requirements for Oxford admissions can be found here; you seem to be there already, and I suppose you'll probably pick up some more 5s in your APs this year to make that side stronger, if you're worried about that. I'm not American and not a compsci but I wouldn't be too worried about the 3 in macro, contrary to that redditor's opinion.

It definitely looks like you could make a strong application to Oxford. Your various and varied extracurricular activities would mostly be of more interest to American colleges than to Oxford, although I think having the wherewithal to build your own OS at this stage (for instance) would make your interest in the computing side of the degree extremely clear to any tutor.

As an international student, I think you're definitely on your way to a very competitive application. Unfortunately our school doesn't offer many APs and I had to lobby intensively to be allowed to take four (dismal, I know). It's definitely worth applying
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.