Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Wishing to study in the USA

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi all,

I am currently at college studying a BTEC in IT but I have recently started thinking about studying in the USA (more specifically San Francisco).

Does anyone have any advice on where to start, where to look, or any info in general?

Unless you have a lot of money to back you up, avoid SF/NYC/LA (or you find a school that has dorms).

(Original post by AaronP 123)
    Does anyone have any advice on where to start, where to look, or any info in general?

The first thing to look at is without doubt the financial side of things. Studying in the US is notoriously expensive, and there is very little in the way of financial aid or scholarships unless you're very lucky. San Francisco is an awesome city, but it is inherently expensive. I'm currently studying in LA, and my rent is double the price I usually pay in the UK.

If finances aren't an issue, then you go about applying as you would anywhere else. Why do you want to go to San Francisco? Do you know what the city is like, does it appeal to you? Are there other places more suitable to what you want to do? Would you be happy moving to a different country? And so forth.

There will be an abundance of information online about studying in the US/California, as well as living there. I've had personal experience of living/studying in Southern California and travelling around the US, so let me know if you have any questions in particular.

Hope this helps,

Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.