Where and how can i get a english qualifcation in the UK?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Brief introduction about me

I am british chinese and at my second weeks in university first year doing computer science . Currently i have grade D in GCSE english language in my possession . At a-level i have re sit several gcse english from year 12 to 13 and yet i keep getting D ,D,E,D,etc so i never manage to get a C. This is because at high school i never pay attention in English class and always get bored instantly eventhough english is not my first language - im still a failue in english. But then i still manage to get into a good university despite the requirement asking for a GCSE grade C. I have 11 GCSEs with grade C to B and A level with two A and one C.

My question is do i need that English Qualification? Does it really matter a lot ? I heard at master degree they require decent level of english so should i just get one now while i still first year ? I have look through learning direct to get a level 2 functional skill english , and this ikeis (spell wrong) which is given to over sea people to test their english. Well i was born in england so i dont get to do those test. So i have done quite a lot of research but i struggle to make a desicison.

Anyway is there any free way to get english qualifcation and the fees seem very high. Or should i just forget about it and just focus on computer science

ReputationRep:
    IELTS.

If you want an English qualification, you will have to pay most likely. Have you spoken to anyone at your uni to discuss your D grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrey20)
    Brief introduction about me

I am british chinese and at my second weeks in university first year doing computer science . Currently i have grade D in GCSE english language in my possession . At a-level i have re sit several gcse english from year 12 to 13 and yet i keep getting D ,D,E,D,etc so i never manage to get a C. This is because at high school i never pay attention in English class and always get bored instantly eventhough english is not my first language - im still a failue in english. But then i still manage to get into a good university despite the requirement asking for a GCSE grade C. I have 11 GCSEs with grade C to B and A level with two A and one C.

My question is do i need that English Qualification? Does it really matter a lot ? I heard at master degree they require decent level of english so should i just get one now while i still first year ? I have look through learning direct to get a level 2 functional skill english , and this ikeis (spell wrong) which is given to over sea people to test their english. Well i was born in england so i dont get to do those test. So i have done quite a lot of research but i struggle to make a desicison.

Anyway is there any free way to get english qualifcation and the fees seem very high. Or should i just forget about it and just focus on computer science
    Masters entry is likely to be stricter about entry requirements. The academic demands increase so it pays to have a basic level of literacy - and proof of that. But it really depends on the uni and course policies.

UK employers generally just want GCSE grade C for English and Maths as a baseline for literacy and numeracy. If you don't have those, then you might struggle to get shortlisted for UK jobs.*

ReputationRep:
    I think it's likely to hold you back in the future if you don't have an english qualification so I would suck it up and pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Masters entry is likely to be stricter about entry requirements. The academic demands increase so it pays to have a basic level of literacy - and proof of that. But it really depends on the uni and course policies.

UK employers generally just want GCSE grade C for English and Maths as a baseline for literacy and numeracy. If you don't have those, then you might struggle to get shortlisted for UK jobs.*
    Actually if you already have a degree from a university in which the language of instruction was English they don't really care. From their point of view you've already demonstrated your ability to use English. Same would apply for employers.

Your uni will normally have access to English courses if they have a substantial amount of international students. If you are already into Uni then its less of an issue. but considering you will be a graduate and born here then you should get grade C.

Getting bored and not paying attention is your responsibiliy.

If the Uni doesnt offer anything then its the local colleges. Dont sacrficie your degree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    IELTS.

If you want an English qualification, you will have to pay most likely. Have you spoken to anyone at your uni to discuss your D grade?
    ah yes it's IELTS.- i look throught this qualification and i think all univeristy require it lol. I also find a near by centre that does them but the fees is ridicously high - GBP 150 !! £150 and i might fail it too so i not sure whether to take it or not , or does it even matter later on.

No i haven't really spoken to anyone at uni ever since i started the course. Although, i met my firm choice requirement on the A-level and GCSEs except the english language grade C. I was still able to get in with a D in english because one of the professor said it does not matter much regardless of the D in english in the Computer Science course since they look through my ucas application and they it was enough to cover the english language grade C. Maybe because i achieved a A in business and ICT and that prove i can write,communicate and work as a team effectively , well i dunno about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Actually if you already have a degree from a university in which the language of instruction was English they don't really care. From their point of view you've already demonstrated your ability to use English. Same would apply for employers.
    yeah this is the comment i have been looking for , even if i didn't get a C in GCSE language , how did i even get a degree in uni later on .And not just that i have good grade in A-level and GCSE that also demonstrated that i have the ability to use English. But i hate the fact that many univeristy require a English language GCSE grade C or maybe part-time jobs for students require a GCSE english C ... so i just hoping that D grade in English won't pull me down in the future i even got rid of the certificate long ago xD if a lot of people do think i need one then i might try to get one somewhere in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Your uni will normally have access to English courses if they have a substantial amount of international students. If you are already into Uni then its less of an issue. but considering you will be a graduate and born here then you should get grade C.

Getting bored and not paying attention is your responsibiliy.

If the Uni doesnt offer anything then its the local colleges. Dont sacrficie your degree though.
    My uni does offer english course and it's mainly for international students :But it's like a half year /full year course and there classes,coursework,exams,etc gonna be troublesome . But i haven't been told to improve my english so i doubt i could enter the english programme. I just wanted to sit a exam/test only and get a qualification from that and not doing the whole english course again which is a waste of time..

(Original post by andrey20)
    My uni does offer english course and it's mainly for international students :But it's like a half year /full year course and there classes,coursework,exams,etc gonna be troublesome . But i haven't been told to improve my english so i doubt i could enter the english programme. I just wanted to sit a exam/test only and get a qualification from that and not doing the whole english course again which is a waste of time..

Then just enter yourself as a private candidate and teach yourself.

ReputationRep:
    IELTS might be a short time solution as it only lasts for two years.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.