Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Latin with classics PGCE

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm currently trying to work out my options for my PGCE and have my heart set on doing a Latin PGCE at Cambridge / KCL (the only places to offer the course). I know, however, that they are extremely competitive courses and I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on how realistic this is or advice on how to improve my chances. I have wanted to be a teacher since I can remember so it's not a spur of the moment decision.
    I studied French, Spanish, Latin & Philosophy, and gained four As at A level. I went on to do a degree in French & Spanish, but wasn't entirely confident in my choice. Part way through my undergraduate degree, I wished I could study Latin again, and I did so in my spare time. I have a high upper second class honours degree from Durham and am applying for an MA in Latin and Classical literature this year. Alongside this, I have quite a lot of experience teaching Latin and classics up to GCSE level, and I am spending a lot of time brushing up on my general knowledge of the classical world.
    I know I'm pushing it without an undergraduate classics / ancient history degree, but is there a possibility I could be successful if I wrote a very convincing statement and demonstrated my subject knowledge sufficiently at interview?

I should think so Ensure you continue to read up on current educational issues regularly and are aware of the developments in teaching materials for your subject. Try to attend a couple of conferences if you can too (whether about Classics, education or both). Bona fortuna!

You should be okay from what you're saying; Cambridge has around 30 people on that course this year.
    Try to get some school experience. You need 10 days minimum, preferably more, and a range of schools is good. The best way I found was to ring schools directly and find out who I should be emailing. I know Latin and Classics can be quite rare, but watching History teaching (and I suppose MFL, at a push) will probably give you an idea of appropriate techniques.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your replies! It's definitely reassuring to know that it's possible. I have already got the minimum ten days under my belt and plan to get much more
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.