The Student Room Group

How do you afford accomodation ??

I'm hoping to go to uni (drama school in London) next year or the year after and had no idea that accommodation was so expensive ! we had to research the cost of
living for a month in Modern Studies yesterday and I was so shocked to see £1200
is a good price for a flat per month. I would never be able to afford that but surely
most people can't ? Sorry just curious idk if I'm going to have to go and rethink my
entire life plan
That's about 3x what most people pay who stay on campus at a university.
Reply 2
Original post by Katiee224
That's about 3x what most people pay who stay on campus at a university.

really ? maybe I was just looking at normal flats not uni ones idk
Original post by lucymclean00
really ? maybe I was just looking at normal flats not uni ones idk

There are places that offer student accommodation at a much cheaper cost in London such as unite-students.

I don't know about your specific uni, have a look what others have done for accommodation in previous years.
Reply 4
£1200 is the price for a fairly nice place (studio/one bed) in Central London. I'm moving there soon and I can't afford that, even on my budget! Certainly not on a student loan.

It's fairly easy to find flat shares for significantly less, and student accomodations etc for lower; especially if you live further out. The uni accomodations department can provide advice but you're looking in the wrong place.
I have no idea what student accommodation costs in London (although I doubt it's 1200 a month) but you will have student loans to help pay for living costs, if you want to study in london it might be a good idea to get a job and save some money before you go as people I've known in London have struggled as it;s very expensive to live.
Even private halls will be cheaper than that (and they're pricey at £900/mo). Consider flat shares and, if need be, living further out and commuting in.
In general, being a student in London works out to be super expensive. The option is to live really close to your uni so that you can walk (and therefore not pay for travel) or live far away (usually cheaper) but pay for travel.*
I lived in London for a year during my Masters degree and wrote a review of my accommodation (link in my signature).
In general, most people supplemented their accommodation with their student loan plus a part time job if their course allowed.
Good luck! *
I'm hoping to go to uni (drama school in London) next year or the year after and had no idea that accommodation was so expensive ! we had to research the cost of
living for a month in Modern Studies yesterday and I was so shocked to see £1200
is a good price for a flat per month. I would never be able to afford that but surely
most people can't ? Sorry just curious idk if I'm going to have to go and rethink my
entire life plan

Hello :smile:,

That is a little steep per month! When living on campus I was paying around £3500 for a year (42 weeks) and yes it was outside of London, but still!
Do a little more research, look at on campus accommodation and off campus accommodation that the university also owns and then look at house shares/flat shares and stuff for students with other letting agencies and compare prices!

Good luck :biggrin:

PS: You do get Student Finance and this should help with your accommodation and people use this ; also, some people work and save up money to afford accommodation!
What University are you intending to study at? Usually you can go onto their website, where you looked at the course content and stuff, and find what accommodation they offer you themselves, on campus and off campus. It's usually about 3k - 6k a year, depending on what you are after.
entire life plan

Students don't typically have *a whole flat to themselves, they flatshare. In London rent should work out around 600-700pcm for a room in a flatshare. Also many students either get a large maintenance loan, have a part time job or help from parents.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending