Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medicine or Geography at university? Please help!!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I know I'm only in lower sixth form, and I've still got a year to go but I want to start getting work experience/extra curriculars to help wih my UCAS application next year so hear me out!

So I am taking Chemistry, Biology and Geography for a levels. My GCSE results were:
    6A*'s (chemistry,biology,physics,geogr aphy,English lit and PE)
    6A's (maths, Spanish, English language, RE, graphic design, art)

My a level predicted results are in ALPS band 1 (what our school use to predict a level results using GCSE results score) which is A*AA.

I am currently tossing between apply for medicine or geography at uni. Below are the reasons for and against why I think I should/shouldn't do them.

I have always been interested in science and the sciences are my strongest subjects at school. Human anatomy particularly interests me and I like helping people.

However there are 2/3 main reasons that are stopping me applying. One is I don't think my GCSE results are 'good enough' for an average medical school applicant so I'm worried this would hold me back. Also I'm worried that I would get rejected for all the place I apply to (possibly due to results etc) and would have to take a gap year which I really don't want to do! Also I don't study maths a level so I'm not sure if medical schools would look down at me on this?

I am equally interested in geography as I am in science and love both physical and human aspects of it! Lots of universities have interesting courses for geography too, especially Cambridge (although I don't think I'd have a chance of getting in).

However my main concern with geography is there isn't a specific job to go into after (unlike medicine where you become a doctor or something else in the field). I know this shouldn't influence it but I was wondering what field of work most geography graduates go into? If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be pleased to know!

The other course I was considering would be physiotherapy (mainly sports) as I love sports and compete to a high level (international).

If anyone could give me any advice on this please reply! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.