Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Highest paying careers for Computer Sci after graduating?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by st*r)
    There are a few reasons.

1. The long hours
    If a client has paid for a days consultancy, they expect you to be with them for seven or eight hours. The average travel time for me to either home or my next hotel was two hours each way. This adds up to at least sixty hours per week.
    It's not nice to come home at midnight, leaving again at 5am to be at a 9am appointment in Dublin, to then come home again at 10PM. The company is only interested in paid time, they generally don't give you any admin time, this happens in your own free time.

2. Staying away from home
    I used to stay away a few nights a week, my home felt like a self storage depot.
    My schedule for a long time was to get home late Friday night, do my washing.
    Sleep most of the weekend, pack a whole weeks worth of clothes and travel Sunday night to a hotel. This avoided a very early start Monday morning.
    All this time away is very bad for relationships and friendships.

3. The role becomes very boring
    You're a glorified salesman, you are either recommending solutions based on your company's own products or that of their partners.
    A lot of reports and recommendations are cut and paste from the same work you did last week.

4. Money
    Flying business class, staying in 4 / 5 star hotels is nice, but it's an expensive lifestyle. The company cars are wonderful, but it isn't your own and the boot is full of work related folders and equipment.
    It's a very expensive lifestyle, you don't have time to shop around for the best deals, if you need something, you get it from the most convenient place and not the cheapest.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom,
    I had some wonderful experiences and generally the customers were fantastic.

If you do it when you graduate, then you can have an amazing time.
    Just be prepared to have the next career move ready before it becomes too much.

Sadly many of my colleagues had rather bad personal "habits" to keep them going the whole week.
    Recently found out that IT Consultants can also be hired for a while and then be let go, for example, work for a company for 6 months, finish the work, have break of month or so, and then work for another company for 3 months? Did you ever do this? Because it sounds good - considering your main issue was having too many hours?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.