Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is this MArch course right for me? I have left it very late to make a decision...

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I have just enrolled onto a Masters of Architecture course, after working for a year in practice, back at the university where I studied my Bachelors.

This is the logical next step and I think my decision was initially made because it's the expected thing to do for qualification.

A bit of background: my final year of my bachelors degree was horrendous, I struggled with the increasingly theoretical and artistic approach to architecture. There was a lot of riddle talking and 'investigatory work' which made it feel like we weren't really being taught anything. It ended up with a few students making a formal complaint and the tutors being let go, we were all given an uncapped resubmission. I got a 2:1 and was over the moon, starting a job a couple of weeks later.

I'm quite a practical person, most likely due to my upbringing, I like logical thinking and the application of architecture in the real world. I've loved working because of this, I feel like I'm contributing to the built environment and not just talking about it.

Fast forward to yesterday and I had introduction presentations to the studios available for MArch and I seriously felt like it was three hours of riddles. I struggled to grasp exactly what their briefs were, and their exact relevance. The course head made a speech and I was very confused about the end goal of what he was trying to say. They were talking about print making and bronze casting more than actual buildings.

I feel like I've landed myself in a situation where I will be putting myself through two more years of what I experienced in my third year of bachelors and now I'm considering dropping out and going back to work. There are as limited material available about the course approach before I started so I only found out yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of working hard and I want to be a fully qualified architect, but I'm just not the sort of person to be able to put up with all the artistic and over-creative approaches. I feel it's all a bit pretentious and only contributes to how inaccessible architecture is to the general public.

Has anyone dropped out of a masters course this quickly? It's a lot of money to just give it a try. Are all MArch courses like this? If so, maybe I have to grin and bare it.

You seem to have a lot going on and I'm sorry you feel this way. It sounds like you aren't sure if this is the right course for you. I'm curious about why you thought it was given that you didn't enjoy your undergrad course? I think you need to drop out and take some time getting some work experience to work out if this is for you and if there are other routes into it. Also think about why you're struggling and maybe do some work to catch up. See if the uni will let you defer. Have you talked to your tutors?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.