The Student Room Group

How can I convince my mum not too....

install fitted wardrobes in my bedroom?

Okay, I already know someone is going to say "It's her house, her money" and "stop acting like a brat, it's her decision"

But honestly my bedroom is my safe/happy place, I literally live there. I eat, sleep and if I could shower in there, I would. It's where I'm most at peace and comfortable, I really dislike the idea of fitting wardrobes on my walls because although my room is spacious (and I'm grateful for that), it will make it seem smaller and less comfy in my opinion.

I don't like change, I like things the way they are.

I have pleaded for months but my mum won't change her mind, apparently the wardrobe man is coming tomorrow to check sizes. Honestly, I could cry. I love my room the way it is, why does my mum need to change it? what can I do to change her mind?

:frown:

how do I stop this.

Scroll to see replies

to* (in the title)
Since you've already told her , idk a few tears always helps the cause
Explain how much it means to you, or failing that point out that it will add basically no resale value to the house because if anyone buys it, they will think ''damn, I actually have to hire someone to pull this crap out of the house and get a proper wardrobe.''
Reply 5
You can say "all my good mates on TSR said it's a bad idea" :tongue:

But seriously, just tell her you're happy with your room the way it is. Not much else you can do to be honest, unless you beat up the man before he enters the house
Does she have facebook page that she uses?

Post a Dear Mother letter and maybe it will go viral or go to the Drs with depression and get a medical note.
Reply 8
They're not that bad I have mirrored ones that take up one wall of my room and I mean they're actually not that bad even though I hated my dad for wanting to put them in there.
Is the problem that you don't want to have the wardrobes or that they will be 'family storage? Or is it just that you don't want people traipsing through your room to install them?
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
Explain how much it means to you, or failing that point out that it will add basically no resale value to the house because if anyone buys it, they will think ''damn, I actually have to hire someone to pull this crap out of the house and get a proper wardrobe.''

Do you really think thats true though?

My mum insists on the total opposite being true.

Before we moved in the lady before us has already fitted in wardrobes in one of the bedrooms and my parents had to pull those apart to install better quality ones so I think that is true to an extent. However I already know I won't be able to convince her based on this argument because she will say "Do you think I'm going to install crap in my house?" "Do you think this is cheap?" etc. :-(

Clearly, the "my bedroom is my happy place" isn't going to work either.

Oh dear god *sighs*
Start crying?
first world problems...

Spoiler

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Do you really think thats true though?

My mum insists on the total opposite being true.

Before we moved in the lady before us has already fitted in wardrobes in one of the bedrooms and my parents had to pull those apart to install better quality ones so I think that is true to an extent. However I already know I won't be able to convince her based on this argument because she will say "Do you think I'm going to install crap in my house?" "Do you think this is cheap?" etc. :-(

Clearly, the "my bedroom is my happy place" isn't going to work either.

Oh dear god *sighs*

It's not even about the cost/quality, other people will prefer to make their own decisions as to designs, colouring and the sort rather than definitely wanting the sort your mama will also want so it just adds more work and expense for them.
Original post by BobSausage
They're not that bad I have mirrored ones that take up one wall of my room and I mean they're actually not that bad even though I hated my dad for wanting to put them in there.
Is the problem that you don't want to have the wardrobes or that they will be 'family storage? Or is it just that you don't want people traipsing through your room to install them?

My mum is getting the fitted in all the rooms, and tbh I don't see why it would matter if she left mine out, there is more than enough for "family storage".

And yep, I'm positive it will turn into "family storage" and I hate that :-(

I mostly don't want them because I have to change the position of my bed, and I really hate that. I like the position my bed is in, if it's positioned on the other side of the room it distorts my view of the window.

Also my mum is like "We can build a mirror and a desk in them" and while that I'm sure is a nice idea, it means I have to throw my desk and my old wardrobe with a full length mirror away. It really is just taking away my rooms identity. :frown:

Oh and I have to throw my bookshelf away also, and that upsets me because my uncle build that bookshelf for me and my books are honestly my most prized possession.

It basically won't feel like my room.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhaenys10
first world problems...

Spoiler

okay.
http://img1.joyreactor.com/pics/post/auto-9gag-1499283.jpeg

It never works.
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
It's not even about the cost/quality, other people will prefer to make their own decisions as to designs, colouring and the sort rather than definitely wanting the sort your mama will also want so it just adds more work and expense for them.

Okay, that is actually very true. I will use it, thank you for the help!
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Since you've already told her , idk a few tears always helps the cause

The tears will come when I have a strange man measuring my walls tomorrow. :frown:
Original post by Saba XD

It never works.

I know it won't, ugh I have a horrible feeling in my stomach. :frown:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Okay, that is actually very true. I will use it, thank you for the help!

Don't piss her off too much because she's doing it to the rest of the house, but fitted wardrobes are a bloody nightmare. It screams, I'm going to have to tear this all out, then repair the plaster on the wall and then remove all the paint and repaint the entire room. They belong in two places only, cheap hotel rooms and bonfires.

Quick Reply