The Student Room Group

Why is it considered bad to talk to people on public transport?

I mean if you are an adult talking to another adult, there should be no problem. Yet people rarely do it, and when it happens there is usually an American involved.
It is down South. Up North is a different story.
Reply 2
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
It is down South. Up North is a different story.

Pretty much what all my Northern friends say. Apparently my friend was on the bus looking at some texts and the guy next to him was peeping and asked who it was and apparently that's normal up there :lol:
Original post by UWS
Pretty much what all my Northern friends say. Apparently my friend was on the bus looking at some texts and the guy next to him was peeping and asked who it was and apparently that's normal up there :lol:

Lol, he was just nosey. :tongue:

It's mostly older people though, that do all the talking etc. Younger people tend to be more reserved on public transport, but not more revered than those down South.
Depends on where you are.

I remember one night catching a bus home somewhere in "the Valleys", and everyone was pissed, but somehow the journey ended up in everyone singing some Welsh hymn like Sosban Fach, while some old bloke started handing out sweets, which everyone passed around the bus.

But where I live now that'd never happen. Not in a million years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
it's not really bad but i personally view it with an air of suspicion. i'll talk to somebody who sits nearby me if they really make an effort to drag me into a conversation with them but i'll be on my guard for the real reason they are talking to me.
Reply 7
because I'm not taking the bus to make friends

leave me the **** alone, i don't wanna hear your life story ffs!
Original post by Twinpeaks
Depends on where you are.

I remember one night catching a bus home somewhere in "the Valleys", and everyone was pissed, but somehow the journey ended up in everyone singing some Welsh hymn like Sosban Fach, while some old bloke started handing out sweets, which everyone passed around the bus.

But where I live now that'd never happen. Not in a million years.

I live in Glasgow and one night got the nightbus home and everyone was also pissed except there was a blunt being passed around as well as a bottle of whiskey. They were also singing but it was more of a crude ditty than a hymn. So, similar to your journey but very different.
It's a young person thing really. You see older strangers chatting amongst each other all the time, I always enjoy a chat to a random older stranger myself as well. Helps pass the time. Been a few years since I used public transport though.
best to keep quiet when undertaking such a shameful act as public transport.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I live in Glasgow and one night got the nightbus home and everyone was also pissed except there was a blunt being passed around as well as a bottle of whiskey. They were also singing but it was more of a crude ditty than a hymn. So, similar to your journey but very different.

Same sentiments though right :rofl:

Original post by WoodyMKC
It's a young person thing really. You see older strangers chatting amongst each other all the time, I always enjoy a chat to a random older stranger myself as well. Helps pass the time. Been a few years since I used public transport though.

Never would have thought you'd make a post that actually hinted at a sweet inner core there :wink:
I use public transport a lot as I'm a pensioner and have a bus pass. If I go on the bus anywhere, usually on a weekend as I'm at uni in the week and it's walking distance, I always take a book, my IPod and some knitting or crocheting with me. Loads of people approach me on the bus if I'm crocheting and ask me what I'm doing (currently baby blankets for Syrian babies) young people and people my own age will chat at me and start a conversation.
I find it really weird going on a bus for an hour or two and just sitting in silence staring out of the window.
I'd talk to people all the time on public transport criticising the news and promoting my business or admiring someone's watch
I think life in the city is quite stressful and for me personally the London Underground is the one place I can just relax and not speak to anyone. There is also no phone signal most of the time so it just gives me some much needed down time- and I would rather not speak to strangers about the weather or politics. I prefer just listening to my own music and chilling.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Never would have thought you'd make a post that actually hinted at a sweet inner core there :wink:

I'm quite lovely when I want to be :redface:
I tend to try and strike up some sort of conversation if i m going to be sat across from someone at a train table for a while or when i've ended up in really close proximity due to a lack of seats, it actually tends to feel less awkward that way.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/bystander-effect

I know it refers most specifically to an emergency situation, but it's pretty much the same effect; nobody is talking so nobody starts talking.

Quick Reply

Latest