Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What is a Compulsory Drinks Reception? (living at home, bit nervy)

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Checked my timetable and I have a compulsory drinks reception for my department to attend for an hour. As someone who is in their late twenties, commuting to uni, I'm a bit concerned what this will actually consist of. I also suffer with a degree of social anxiety and know literally noone on my course (we haven't started and I live at home and commute). I just have a vision of being the old one at the back looking at their phone trying to stave off a panic attack lol.

Not really looking for reassurance but just a feel of what it's actually like, what to expect, what's the general dress code, are there generally places to sit etc etc. I know this varies from university to university but I'd still like I feel for what it's like for anyone who has experienced it. Is there actually alcohol? Feel like that would make things a little less stressful. Even if it is a lot of people making the rounds and talking to everyone and little circles of people who know eachother I'd rather know rather than go in blind.

Thank you!

Don't forget no-one really knows anyone at this stage. Some people will stick with going out with the first group of people they meet, which is often flatmates and so look like they are a close group, but they aren't really as they have all just started like you.

At my uni this sort of thing is casual dress and is usually in the department and is just an opportunity to meet others on the course and meet some of the tutors (mine is a very big department so they have this kind of social event for combined students or students on 4 year programmes etc so you get a chance to meet others doing the same course). There is alcohol and soft drinks and sometimes crisps or other nibbles. People either sit around or mill around generally chatting and the teaching staff generally circulate and chat with different people (as they like a free drink as much as anyone else!)

It's an awkward social occasion that neither the hosts nor the guests really want to participate in, but the powers-that-be organise it so that they can 'tick' the box on having welcomed new students. Free wine, and an introductory speech from the department.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.