The Student Room Group

MSci in Natural Sciences vs MSci in Maths & Physics.

I'm going into Year 2 of my natural sciences degree and the time has come for module choices. I study Maths and Physics. This year I want to do one module more of Maths and one module less of Physics (this will result in a split of 2/3 Maths and 1/3 Physics this year). However if I do this then I don't follow the strict guideline of modules required to eventually graduate with an MSci in Maths and Physics - instead I'll receive an MSci in Natural Sciences. The content of the degree will be almost identical and most of the modules I do will be the same in either degree course I take. Only difference is the name of the degree title. So my question is: is it worth it to take my ideal module choices (which is split 2/3 Maths and 1/3 Physics) and then graduate with MSci in Natural Sciences or instead don’t do the extra Maths module I wanted to do and instead take up the Physics module (overall split of ½ Maths and ½ Physics) and then graduate with an MSci in Mathematics and Physics.
I should note that I hope to do a PhD in Theoretical Physics or Applied Maths (with the application being in fundamental Physics). I guess I’m asking because I’m assuming the degree title MSci in Mathematcs and Physics sounds (1) more specific to what I actually studied, and (2) like a better degree, perhaps could help with future jobs (even though I want to stay in academia).

Thanks in advance.
If you're applying for PhD's they'll see your whole transcript so they'll get a good handle on what you actually studied. It may be worth having a sentence like "my degree was heavily focussed on maths and physics" or however you would best describe it to signpost that your degree isn't really as general as "natural science" implies.

Are you missing a core physics module by doing this or is it simply the number of credits you put into each subject per year? Would it be possible to take your maths module next year?

I would talk to your academic advisor to see if you have any ways to keep the maths + physics title and a careers advisor (partliculary one experienced in PG STEM) to see if they think a prospective supervisor will care.

Quick Reply

Latest