The Student Room Group

A-Level choices and 3 vs. 4

Currently, I do biology, history, english lit and maths with the intention of doing Law. I want to apply to universities that ask for AAA/A*AA.

I don't think I'll get an A in maths, but at the same time I don't want to limit my options in case I change my mind. What do I do?

Also, I was thinking about dropping biology - but would I be at a disadvantage for only doing 3 a-levels if I want to apply to top universities for Law?
Original post by francis_e_c
Currently, I do biology, history, english lit and maths with the intention of doing Law. I want to apply to universities that ask for AAA/A*AA.

I don't think I'll get an A in maths, but at the same time I don't want to limit my options in case I change my mind. What do I do?

Also, I was thinking about dropping biology - but would I be at a disadvantage for only doing 3 a-levels if I want to apply to top universities for Law?

Do you know your AS grades? If so what are they?

Couldnt you keep all 4 on for now, and see what sort of results you get at the end of year 12. Depending on what you get, you could maybe drop one then.
Reply 3
Original post by Kiritsugu
Do you know your AS grades? If so what are they?

I've only just started year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Couldnt you keep all 4 on for now, and see what sort of results you get at the end of year 12. Depending on what you get, you could maybe drop one then.

Our school doesn't do AS examinations, except obviously for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

You wouldn't really be at a disadvantage. With that said, the average points score of top universities go into 4 A-levels plus EPQ (560+ Old ucas tariff system). I would say 3 is alright but you must have other stuff. I don't know what other stuff Law unis like to see. Maybe reading law-related books. Maybe doing sports to show you can work in a team. Work Experience. This is something you'll have to research and start early.

"Many law students take at least one 'facilitating' subject such as a foreign language, maths, science, English, history or geography, which are deemed as good choices for students who want to keep their degree options flexible."

You should take the one you feel comfortable with. I personally think maths would be more helpful for a law degree than biology. Oh and Critical thinking may help with the Law National Admissions Test but, to keep your options open, the subject is better done as a fifth AS-level (if you're doing 4 subjects).
Our school doesn't do AS examinations, except obviously for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about seeing what you get in maths at the end of AS and then dropping that if you dont get what you want/need in it.

Quick Reply

Latest