Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Mixed Martial Arts Society

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL, kung-fu is crap. Big John wanted to fight in the UFC as he was friends with some of the Gracies. I think it was Royce who persuaded him not to and to referee instead, but yes a lot of BJJ guys started teaching in Cali, and I think Big John does indeed train the police. The police aren't supposed to be able to KO people with high kicks, they detain them in the safest way possible for the cop and the suspect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Join the society people!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How? When I click your sig link I just go to some post in this thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Systema or Krav-Maga?? Any thoughts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To join the society, go onto the 'Soc' link on the banner bar. I can't link directly to the application page, I don't think. It's here on pag 9, near the bottom.

Systema or Krav-Maga?? Any thoughts.
    I don't like questions like this... the only way you'll know is if you go to both for a few sessions and find out which you prefer. Just remember, if one of them doesn't teach very much groundfighting, it's not going to be great for MMA.

If anyone has any questions on techniques for ground-fighting, I'll be happy to try and help. I can't remember who it is, but someone on this thread has a BJJ black-belt, so they might be better than me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    imo fedor should join the ufc in order to maintain his #1 hw ranking as opposed to signing elsewhere and fighting inferior opposition ie fighters not in the top ten
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to bet on Henderson to win on Saturday, it'll be a very close match. His wrestling is superior to Rampage's and his striking ability is fairly decent - also note that Rampage doesn't kick a lot. However, having said that I think Quinton is better in the clinch and general in-fighting if it reaches that point. I think this match-up will spark a spectacular trilogy between the two.

Also, some general thoughts - under UFC rules (where weight is given to takedowns) I think Rampage would beat Wanderlei Silva convincingly. He's improved so much as a fighter and is now more well rounded than Silva.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I B.S.)
    imo fedor should join the ufc in order to maintain his #1 hw ranking as opposed to signing elsewhere and fighting inferior opposition ie fighters not in the top ten
    Agreed. He hasn't fought a notable heavyweight since Cro Cop over 2 years ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I give Fedor 3 months to sign with the UFC or fight Josh Barnett, before the #1 ranking goes to Big Nog (Or Randy, CroCop, Arlovski, depending on who fights and beats who).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for Rampage to win, Cro Cop to win by GnP and Bisping to win a decision after a war (or late KO).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Police in America learn Brazilian jujitsu occasionally, as do the Israeli armed forces; a type of modified grappling using holds. The referee from the UFC, John Mccarthy, teaches grappling. He has a black belt in BJJ, if I remember correctly.

Kung Fu hasn't been seen in the UFC... ever, I don't think.
    I think I saw it in one of the early UFC's actually. I have it on dvd; I'm sure there was a fighter that used Kung Fu.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've remember seeing a Wing Chun practitioner in one of the early UFCs, the fight ended in about 10 seconds. Some traditional martial arts are full of what would be considered illegal moves, so these arts aren't practical for a sport application like MMA.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished watching the live stream of UFC 75. I'll wait until you guys finish watching it before starting a discussion, I've got a few things to say. Overall it was a really good event.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    I've just finished watching the live stream of UFC 75. I'll wait until you guys finish watching it before starting a discussion, I've got a few things to say. Overall it was a really good event.
    Can you tell me what happened mate, in one of them spoiler things
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Rampage beat Dan Henderson by unanimous decision. Dan tried to make it as much of a wrestling match as possible doing most of his work in the guard. Quinton had better stand-up, throwing better punches but both of them were pretty passive in the clinch. Rampage did really well to avoid two armbars and two kimura attempts. At some points, both had side control and worked on knees but neither of them could pull off anything definitive. This was a close fight.

Bisping defeated Hamill by split decision. Could've gone either way but Bisping recovered in the third round with better boxing. Hamill scored some points with a few take downs. Overall, Bispings was a lot more aggressive.

Cheick Kongo beat Mirko Cro Cop by unanimous decision. Cro Cop was way too passive in this match, he attempted only two high kicks in the entire fight and didn't do much else. On the other hand Kongo really took it to him with inside leg kicks, kicks to the abdomen and jabs - he had Mirko back peddling. In the clinch, Kongo pushed him against the fence and went to work with knees to the legs. I think this is evidence that Cro Cop is not used to fighting in the cage. At one point Mirko had double underhooks in the clinch but failed to capitalise on it, he should've tried to jack his arms up more but he did absolutely nothing. Kongo scored a few good take downs.

Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor. This has to be one of the highlights of the night for me, Davis made a comeback after being dropped by a perfectly timed high kick. As a result, Paul won position and followed through with hammer puches from the top. Basically Davis recovered in the guard, and managed to pull off a very impressive armbar.

Unfortunately, I can't report on the other match-ups, I missed the undercard fights when I went to take a shower.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Rampage beat Dan Henderson by unanimous decision. Dan tried to make it as much of a wrestling match as possible doing most of his work in the guard. Quinton had better stand-up, throwing better punches but both of them were pretty passive in the clinch. Rampage did really well to avoid two armbars and two kimura attempts. At some points, both had side control and worked on knees but neither of them could pull off anything definitive. This was a close fight.

Bisping defeated Hamill by split decision. Could've gone either way but Bisping recovered in the third round with better boxing. Hamill scored some points with a few take downs. Overall, Bispings was a lot more aggressive.

Cheick Kongo beat Mirko Cro Cop by unanimous decision. Cro Cop was way too passive in this match, he attempted only two high kicks in the entire fight and didn't do much else. On the other hand Kongo really took it to him with inside leg kicks, kicks to the abdomen and jabs - he had Mirko back peddling. In the clinch, Kongo pushed him against the fence and went to work with knees to the legs. I think this is evidence that Cro Cop is not used to fighting in the cage. At one point Mirko had double underhooks in the clinch but failed to capitalise on it, he should've tried to jack his arms up more but he did absolutely nothing. Kongo scored a few good take downs.

Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor. This has to be one of the highlights of the night for me, Davis made a comeback after being dropped by a perfectly timed high kick. As a result, Paul won position and followed through with hammer puches from the top. Basically Davis recovered in the guard, and managed to pull off a very impressive armbar.

Unfortunately, I can't report on the other match-ups, I missed the undercard fights when I went to take a shower.
    Thanks mate i appreciate it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually, after reviewing the Bisping fight again, I just realised one of the judges scored it 30-27 Bisping. I call BS, Hamill won the first round, 2nd was closer but in the third Bisping took it to him. Perhaps Hamill was robbed of a draw.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was at the event myself. Great night.

Discusted at the Bisping-Hamil decision. Hamil took it in my opinion.

Also in my opinion Henderson beat Jackson. What were these judges on?

And Cro-Cop lost ****ing again. I'm upset at this. He didn't hardly throw anything, only about 3 kicks in the whole fight.

Thought Fedor was gona be announced? Ah well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hamill was robbed, shame, happy Bisping won, but he should really drop down to 185, he'll get tooled by guys with better Striking and clinch/ground games.

CroCop just disappoints me more and more, he's not the fighter of 2 or 3 years ago when he ran through guys in Pride for fun. He really looks like he's in there for the pay day.

Glad Rampage won, because that may mean Henderson will drop down to 185 and take on Silva, which will be a crazy fight.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just watched the first round of Mirko vs Kongo again and to be honest Cro Cop looked hungry. He was pushing the fight in the first 2 minutes or so but just kept getting countered by kicks, I think Kongo broke his confidence. Cheick was just a better kickboxer that night, Mirko knew this but he wasn't comfortable taking the fight to the ground to counter Cheick's attacks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 17, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.