Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Mixed Martial Arts Society

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your saying Arlovski gets a title shot straight away lol?

The dude can't even beat Tim Sylvia!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    arlovski won't get a shot. Given the time it's going to take randy to heel up Fedor might have signed by then. Arlovski just isn't marketable right now coming of a lacklustre decision against werdum. There aren't really many marketable guys in the heavyweight division. You've got Brandon Vera but they won't throw him to the lions yet they're trying to build him up. Nogueria is the best qualified contender but the UFC still have half a mind to signing fedor and then if Nog beats Randy you can't market fedor vs randy as the biggest fight of all time and nog vs fedor 4 as it will be by then just wouldn't be worth it. So i think the heavyweight belt should sit on ice for a while to see if fedor comes into the ufc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott Storch)
    Your saying Arlovski gets a title shot straight away lol?

The dude can't even beat Tim Sylvia!!
    Lik Hallman/Hughes, Hoost/Sapp and others, the man who won twice was not the better fighter, in my mind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Randy/Gonzaga
    Choosing Gonzaga over Couture...you blasphemer.

Anyhow, my top 5 MMA current fighters, pound for pound.

Randy
    GSP
    Franklin
    Spider
    Jackson
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Despite Franklin being one of my favourite fighters (incredible athlete), I wouldn't put him in the top 5. He's easily big enough to compete at 205 but he chooses to cut to 185 to have a strength advantage over the naturally smaller middleweights. Other than that, I agree with the names on your list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mischievous Mj)
    Choosing Gonzaga over Couture...you blasphemer.

Anyhow, my top 5 MMA current fighters, pound for pound.

Randy
    GSP
    Franklin
    Spider
    Jackson
    Where's Fedor and Shogun?

And Franklin over Spider??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you have top p4p fighters without

2 being Penn

and number one being Kid. Imagine Kid scaled up to 185, 205 or 240? The guy would demolish everyone in round one.

Peace
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    UFC 76 is looking really good:

Main Card

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine
    Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin (this is make or break for Forrest, he's effectively being fed to Shogun. If he loses he'll be forgotten about)
    Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch
    Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida - fight of the night
    Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

the 205 division is stacked, I love it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    UFC 76 is looking really good:

Main Card

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine
    Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin (this is make or break for Forrest, he's effectively being fed to Shogun. If he loses he'll be forgotten about)
    Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch
    Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida - fight of the night
    Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

the 205 division is stacked, I love it
    Doubt he'll be forgot about, hes a big fan favourite and will probably be on cards in the future, maybe as a gatekeeper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fianna)
    How can you have top p4p fighters without

2 being Penn

and number one being Kid. Imagine Kid scaled up to 185, 205 or 240? The guy would demolish everyone in round one.

Peace
    Penn needs to win some more and stay at 155 to get such a high P4P ranking... and I agree with Kid being top 10. However going on current records against top competition, Fedor is #1 and Shogun is #2. Rampage, Arona, Lil Nog, Kaznak and another is 5 fights? Nobody has face that level of competition in 5 fights who I can think of, except maybe GSP with Mayhem, Trigg, Hughes, Sherk and Karo.... but still.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Penn needs to win some more and stay at 155 to get such a high P4P ranking... and I agree with Kid being top 10. However going on current records against top competition, Fedor is #1 and Shogun is #2. Rampage, Arona, Lil Nog, Kaznak and another is 5 fights? Nobody has face that level of competition in 5 fights who I can think of, except maybe GSP with Mayhem, Trigg, Hughes, Sherk and Karo.... but still.
    Penn is one of the greatest MMA fighters in the world, and belongs in any top 3 p4p lists. A BJ Penn in shape can destroy anybody at 155 and i'd also put anybody at 170 in that category also
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanLUFC)
    Penn is one of the greatest MMA fighters in the world, and belongs in any top 3 p4p lists. A BJ Penn in shape can destroy anybody at 155 and i'd also put anybody at 170 in that category also
    On the basis of what? Ok, at 155 he needs to take one moe fight to get th number 2 or 3 spot... but he hasn't won a fight at 170 for over two years, and that was against a 38 year old Renzo Gracie. P4P is based on acheivements, not potential.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the basis of what? Ok, at 155 he needs to take one moe fight to get th number 2 or 3 spot... but he hasn't won a fight at 170 for over two years, and that was against a 38 year old Renzo Gracie. P4P is based on acheivements, not potential.
    If I have to spell out for you why BJ Penn should be in the top 3, then that is a real shame.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I have to spell out for you why BJ Penn should be in the top 3, then that is a real shame.
    When was his last win over a top 10 fighter in any weight division? It's either Ludwig or Hughes, each of those over 3 years ago.

GSP with his recent win over top-5 fighter Koscheck gets the number 3 spot, the probably Filho, who in his 15 fighter career I have never seen in any kind of trouble. Then Penn comes after that.

He may dominate at 155lbs, but there's no chance in hell he deserves the top 3 spot after beating Jens Pulver. If Sherk's appeal succeeds, I hope we see Sherk/Penn - Sherk would run through him in my mind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sherk is a ****ing cheat.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he cheated. The following numbers/facts are off the top of my head and should be checked.

The normal amount of blood nandralone for a person is 3 arbitrary units (could be parts per million, but I don't know and it's immaterial regarding my arguement).

Normal for an athlete is 6 au

Sherk tested positive with 12 au

Sounds bad, but the man has an insane workout schedule and takes a lot of supplements. I don't know if you remember but Greg Rusedski was in a similar position to Sherk at one point. He denied it and was cleared, on the basis that supplements had caused a false positive.

Royce Gracie tested positive for nandralone with 50 au. 12 doesn't sound quite so bad now, does it?

Only Sherk and possibly his camp knows if he took AAS. I hope he didn't, but the best we or the guys investigating have is an educated guess. Anyhow, I think Penn would beat Sherk. Would be a good fight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When was his last win over a top 10 fighter in any weight division? It's either Ludwig or Hughes, each of those over 3 years ago.

GSP with his recent win over top-5 fighter Koscheck gets the number 3 spot, the probably Filho, who in his 15 fighter career I have never seen in any kind of trouble. Then Penn comes after that.

He may dominate at 155lbs, but there's no chance in hell he deserves the top 3 spot after beating Jens Pulver. If Sherk's appeal succeeds, I hope we see Sherk/Penn - Sherk would run through him in my mind.
    Care to explain how he'd run through Penn, because I don't see him as having a chance against BJ. BJ is the best 155 fighter in the world, and if he stays at 155, will dominate for years
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Care to explain how he'd run through Penn, because I don't see him as having a chance against BJ. BJ is the best 155 fighter in the world, and if he stays at 155, will dominate for years
    You can't just say Penn is the best 155 fighter in the world. Where does that assertion come from? One win over Jens Pulver who, by the way, he lost to earlier in that weight class in any case. Sherk is the nightmare fighter for BJ, someone with amazing cardio, and great takedowns. Sherk is like Hughes who BJ lost to recently and yeah we can talk about him being injured in the second round all we like he lost and it's as simple as that.

and do you know BJ's record? You say he can 'destroy' any fighter at 170? Again that's just a guess because he hasn't fought at 170 regularly and what about the fact he has lost to both Hughes and St Pierre recently at that weight class? He was perfectly healthy in teh St Pierre fight just unable to hack the pace. Pound for pound lists are based on wins and achievement, yeah BJ is the prodigy and he goes crazy fighting at heavyweight one month and welterweight the next but that doesn't prove anything. He's talented but until he puts together a string of wins, which he hasn't, then you can't rank him anywhere on a pound for pound list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    You can't just say Penn is the best 155 fighter in the world. Where does that assertion come from? One win over Jens Pulver who, by the way, he lost to earlier in that weight class in any case. Sherk is the nightmare fighter for BJ, someone with amazing cardio, and great takedowns. Sherk is like Hughes who BJ lost to recently and yeah we can talk about him being injured in the second round all we like he lost and it's as simple as that.

and do you know BJ's record? You say he can 'destroy' any fighter at 170? Again that's just a guess because he hasn't fought at 170 regularly and what about the fact he has lost to both Hughes and St Pierre recently at that weight class? He was perfectly healthy in teh St Pierre fight just unable to hack the pace. Pound for pound lists are based on wins and achievement, yeah BJ is the prodigy and he goes crazy fighting at heavyweight one month and welterweight the next but that doesn't prove anything. He's talented but until he puts together a string of wins, which he hasn't, then you can't rank him anywhere on a pound for pound list.
    Ok. BJ Penn, in shape, I believe can dominate anybody at 155/170, and here's why. BJ has always said he didn't like training, and it was said that he thought his superior skill could take him through most fights. He has lost to Hughes yes, but he has also beaten Matt Hughes very convincingly. The GSP fight was a very close decision, in a fight where he gassed. This is why I say if BJ trains like he did for the Pulver fight, then he can defeat anybody. And i'm not just talking about one win over Pulver, i'm talking about previous achievements where he defeated such guys as Takanori Gomi, who is ranked number 1 155lb fighter in the world. He dominated him,like Gomi has never been dominated before, or since. Sherk has great wrestling and cardio, similar to Hughes, and BJ has beat Hughes, what makes you think Sherk would run through him? BJ is very difficult to take down, and his BJJ game is amongst the best in the world. BJ Penn would defeat Sean Sherk, because he's that good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok. BJ Penn, in shape, I believe can dominate anybody at 155/170, and here's why. BJ has always said he didn't like training, and it was said that he thought his superior skill could take him through most fights. He has lost to Hughes yes, but he has also beaten Matt Hughes very convincingly. The GSP fight was a very close decision, in a fight where he gassed. This is why I say if BJ trains like he did for the Pulver fight, then he can defeat anybody. And i'm not just talking about one win over Pulver, i'm talking about previous achievements where he defeated such guys as Takanori Gomi, who is ranked number 1 155lb fighter in the world. He dominated him,like Gomi has never been dominated before, or since. Sherk has great wrestling and cardio, similar to Hughes, and BJ has beat Hughes, what makes you think Sherk would run through him? BJ is very difficult to take down, and his BJJ game is amongst the best in the world. BJ Penn would defeat Sean Sherk, because he's that good
    Agree to disagree.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 17, 2013
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.