The Student Room Group

Do I need to quit my job to get 3 As?

I have a part-time job, and it's not a very enjoyable one. Being in the food service industry, it is very high-stress and was badly managed for the first several months I worked there. I find myself actively thinking about work when I'm not there and wake up to messages from my colleagues asking me to cover shifts or do accusing me of doing something wrong. I've worked there for nearly a year, and I have had a hard time getting my managers to listen to me about cutting my hours back for school. They can mess me around as much as they like because I am on zero hours; for example, in the summer I worked five hours in two weeks. A few days later I did 49 hours over 7 days. I have told them I can only work for one weekend day but they continue to schedule me over time. I want to quit desperately to focus on school, but I don't know how and I need money to pay for so many various things. I don't have another source of income to fall back on. I'm paying my mum back slowly but surely for my laptop, I'm paying for a trip to Iceland, and I'm paying for a car/driving lessons. As an art student I have to pay for art supplies constantly, which are expensive, not to mention text nooks for my other subjects. I take the train to and from school every day, which is £7.50 a day. It adds up. So I need money. But I also need three As to get into the course I want to do more than anything. What do I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by meghan.sp
I have a part-time job, and it's not a very enjoyable one. Being in the food service industry, it is very high-stress and was badly managed for the first several months I worked there. I find myself actively thinking about work when I'm not there and wake up to messages from my colleagues asking me to cover shifts or do accusing me of doing something wrong. I've worked there for nearly a year, and I have had a hard time getting my managers to listen to me about cutting my hours back for school. They can mess me around as much as they like because I am on zero hours; for example, in the summer I worked five hours in two weeks. A few days later I did 49 hours over 7 days. I have told them I can only work for one weekend day but they continue to schedule me over time. I want to quit desperately to focus on school, but I don't know how and I need money to pay for so many various things. I don't have another source of income to fall back on. I'm paying my mum back slowly but surely for my laptop, I'm paying for a trip to Iceland, and I'm paying for a car/driving lessons. So I need money. But I also need three As to get into the course I want to do more than anything. What do I do?

Sorry to be patronising, but you're a child. You don't HAVE TO PAY for "various things" Driving lessons can be postponed, so can the trip, and you can just work next summer to pay your mother back. Think about your future for crying out loud.
Reply 2
Original post by meghan.sp
I have a part-time job, and it's not a very enjoyable one. Being in the food service industry, it is very high-stress and was badly managed for the first several months I worked there. I find myself actively thinking about work when I'm not there and wake up to messages from my colleagues asking me to cover shifts or do accusing me of doing something wrong. I've worked there for nearly a year, and I have had a hard time getting my managers to listen to me about cutting my hours back for school. They can mess me around as much as they like because I am on zero hours; for example, in the summer I worked five hours in two weeks. A few days later I did 49 hours over 7 days. I have told them I can only work for one weekend day but they continue to schedule me over time. I want to quit desperately to focus on school, but I don't know how and I need money to pay for so many various things. I don't have another source of income to fall back on. I'm paying my mum back slowly but surely for my laptop, I'm paying for a trip to Iceland, and I'm paying for a car/driving lessons. So I need money. But I also need three As to get into the course I want to do more than anything. What do I do?

Focus on your A Levels bud, Unis care more about 3 A's than extra curricular stuff, believe me
Reply 3
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Sorry to be patronising, but you're a child. You don't HAVE TO PAY for "various things" Driving lessons can be postponed, so can the trip, and you can just work next summer to pay your mother back. Think about your future for crying out loud.

Yes, I suppose driving lessons can be postponed, but it doesn't mean I don't have to pay for anything. Also, I am 18 and pay my way through most things myself. I know I need to quit, and I am thinking about my future. I was just seeing what other people's opinions were ie. if anyone else worked through year 13 and came out the other end alive :wink:
Reply 4
I am doing A levels too and have recently just gotten a temporary job till the end the of the year. However I'm doing part time, about 4 days a week. If you feel like you can't cope with doing both then I'd quit or work less hours, maybe on the weekends only. Personally I find that a job actually helps me revise and stay motivated as before I used to think that I had the whole day ahead and left revision till night but now as soon as I come back I get started as I know I have no choice but to get it done. That's just me though :smile:
whatever it takes
Reply 6
Just talk to your manager seriously! and get all other stuff except studies postponed.
Just focus on your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest