The Student Room Group

Revision guides/textbooks.

Hey,

I have an AS Edexcel Revision Guide for Maths (pink in colour) and I was wondering if the A2 version of it is just as good or beneficial to get. I want to get an A/A* overall in Maths and I just wanted to know if there are any other books that would help me to get that grade?

Thank you in advance.
P.S this is the link to the AS textbook I have just in case anyone was interested. :-) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexcel-Mathematics-Revision-REVISE/dp/1447961641/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JRRWTPDHNHRSQHRT677E
Original post by Scholar101
Hey,

I have an AS Edexcel Revision Guide for Maths (pink in colour) and I was wondering if the A2 version of it is just as good or beneficial to get. I want to get an A/A* overall in Maths and I just wanted to know if there are any other books that would help me to get that grade?

Thank you in advance.
P.S this is the link to the AS textbook I have just in case anyone was interested. :-) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexcel-Mathematics-Revision-REVISE/dp/1447961641/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JRRWTPDHNHRSQHRT677E

It's ok and it's useful in conjunction with the practice workbook but I'd say it's not nearly as valuable as the AS version.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
It's ok and it's useful in conjunction with the practice workbook but I'd say it's not nearly as valuable as the AS version.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you. Would past papers such as Solomon's etc be better then?
Original post by Scholar101
Okay thank you. Would past papers such as Solomon's etc be better then?

Not sure what you mean by better.
The revision guide contains explanations of topics and highlights what examiners are looking for. The accompanying workbook provides questions matched to those topics. If you are finding preparation difficult then it's a good resource to get you started. If you are pretty confident in C3&4 then your text book chapter reviews, examsolutions topic questions and lots of past papers will probably be enough.

Solomon papers are just practice papers written by an independent author back in around 2004. They contain some questions that are very different from the style used by Edexcel in recent years and do contain a lot of challenging questions. They are useful in that they test your understanding and ability to handle unfamiliar questions. I would only use them if I was consistently getting 90+ UMS in recent past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Not sure what you mean by better.
The revision guide contains explanations of topics and highlights what examiners are looking for. The accompanying workbook provides questions matched to those topics. If you are finding preparation difficult then it's a good resource to get you started. If you are pretty confident in C3&4 then your text book chapter reviews, examsolutions topic questions and lots of past papers will probably be enough.

Solomon papers are just practice papers written by an independent author back in around 2004. They contain some questions that are very different from the style used by Edexcel in recent years and do contain a lot of challenging questions. They are useful in that they test your understanding and ability to handle unfamiliar questions. I would only use them if I was consistently getting 90+ UMS in recent past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, you've helped me :-)

Quick Reply

Latest