The Student Room Group

Social Work Masters 2017

Hi!

I just really wanted to start a thread for other people in the same boat as me and see if we could support each other through it all.
Applications opened on Monday for 2017 entry and I've been writing and rewriting my personal statement since!

Just wondering how everyone else is finding the application process, and if all my worrying is justified!

I've been working in various care settings for the past 4/5 years, considered nursing but found it wasn't the right fit. I knew I wanted to work in that sort of area (note: I've always worked in adult care, and that's where my main interests lie in social work currently, but who knows a children's placement could change all of that)
Applying to Birmingham, Coventry, Warwick, Nottingham and Nottingham Trent. Although Birmingham is my top choice.

First degree is in Photography from NTU and I got a 2:1, never used my degree except for handing out advice in Jessops on cameras. Been working in care since graduating.

So, ease my stress and tell me about your situations too! Would be awesome to have people to go through all this with :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :smile:

I'm applying for 2017 entry too! I'm applying to Uni of Manchester, Salford and Manchester Metropolitan as I don't want to move or commute. I don't know which would be my top choice if I managed to get into all 3.. Manchester is a better uni and I did my undergrad degree in Psychology there but Salford's fees are much cheaper!! I'm kind of thinking that because the course is more vocational and the placement's are the important bit the uni's reputation doesn't matter all that much?

Anyway.. I graduated in 2014 and have been doing support work since. I've worked with adults with learning disabilities, adults with mental health problems and children in care. Trying to write the personal statement at the moment but 4000 characters doesn't seem enough! Just praying that I get interviews!!!

Have you bought/read any books? I'm thinking of buying A Brief Introduction to Social Work by David Howe as I've seen it mentioned in a few threads as a good starting point to look at before interviews.

Gemma.
Hey guys

I'm applying this year for York and Leeds Beckett. I also applied to Leeds for Jan 2017 start and didn't hear anything for months then found out I have an interview/assessment next Wednesday! There is apparently a presentation, written exercise, group interview then personal interview. Bit nervous as I don't think I'm overly vocal in group situations.

Any guesses what the written exercise/group interview will be about? I imagine they will give us a case and we discuss how we would approach it. Am going to sit down and look at previous years threads over the weekend.

I really struggled with the personal statement, I am not good at being concise and it reads a bit like a job application more than anything else.

Good luck

CC
Reply 3
Original post by glr1234
Hi :smile:

I'm applying for 2017 entry too! I'm applying to Uni of Manchester, Salford and Manchester Metropolitan as I don't want to move or commute. I don't know which would be my top choice if I managed to get into all 3.. Manchester is a better uni and I did my undergrad degree in Psychology there but Salford's fees are much cheaper!! I'm kind of thinking that because the course is more vocational and the placement's are the important bit the uni's reputation doesn't matter all that much?

Anyway.. I graduated in 2014 and have been doing support work since. I've worked with adults with learning disabilities, adults with mental health problems and children in care. Trying to write the personal statement at the moment but 4000 characters doesn't seem enough! Just praying that I get interviews!!!

Have you bought/read any books? I'm thinking of buying A Brief Introduction to Social Work by David Howe as I've seen it mentioned in a few threads as a good starting point to look at before interviews.

Gemma.

That's exactly my thought process for where I'm applying. Birmingham is top choice because it's cheapest and easiest commute from home. Warwick is last because the fees are absolutely extortionate, but I feel like I should apply just incase I don't get accepted anywhere else, I'll just have to work my balls off to pay for it!

My personal statement is just full of those cheeses sentences that you just can't seem to escape. Trying hard not to turn it into a sob story though.

I've got A Brief Introduction, it's good, gets a bit flouncy in places but is helpful! I keep looking on amazon seeing if there was anything that might be helpful at this stage, but I don't want to get too carried away..

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 4
Original post by CleverCookie
Hey guys

I'm applying this year for York and Leeds Beckett. I also applied to Leeds for Jan 2017 start and didn't hear anything for months then found out I have an interview/assessment next Wednesday! There is apparently a presentation, written exercise, group interview then personal interview. Bit nervous as I don't think I'm overly vocal in group situations.

Any guesses what the written exercise/group interview will be about? I imagine they will give us a case and we discuss how we would approach it. Am going to sit down and look at previous years threads over the weekend.

I really struggled with the personal statement, I am not good at being concise and it reads a bit like a job a pplication more than anything else.

Good luck

CC

Hi!
Sorry only just seen this!
Was the interview today and how did it go?

I'm sure you smashed it if it was! Don't worry about the amount of group contribution, just the quality of it. For a job I had to do a group exercise, I didn't really say much in the exercise but my closing statement of one sentence was a banger and it got me the job!
Original post by Canongon
Hi!
Sorry only just seen this!
Was the interview today and how did it go?

I'm sure you smashed it if it was! Don't worry about the amount of group contribution, just the quality of it. For a job I had to do a group exercise, I didn't really say much in the exercise but my closing statement of one sentence was a banger and it got me the job!

Hiya

I think it went ok apart from the 1 to 1 interview, but it's too late to change anything now :smile:

The written exercise was just a situation you would find yourself in as a social worker, so we had to assess the facts given to us, think what we would do and then look at the risks involved. I reckon I did ok on this bit.

The group interview was a bit like the written assessment. This was the bit I was dreading but there was only actually 4 people there for the whole day and the other 3 were really cool so it made it loads easier. It was just assessing another situation where we were a social worker at a multi agency meeting, which was quite useful for me as I've been to loads in my current job. We all got observed as we talked and there was plenty to talk about.

Then the final interview was the 1 to 1 and I think I just rambled a lot so hopefully, they picked up on anything useful I said. Felt like it was really quick, I was only in there for 30 mins and it felt like the others were in a lot longer. There were basic questions about why you want to be a social worker, what skills and experience do you have, how would you cope with the workload etc. then 4 questions that were situations you might find yourself in and what you would do. No right or wrong answers they said but I had loads in my mind that I wanted to talk about and forgot most of it when I went in!

I asked about bursaries because I would really struggle without one and they said that we probably wouldn't find out until the course started which is a bit of a shame. Graduate prospects seem really good, they are linked in with Leeds City Council and Wakefield Council so lots of opportunity for interesting placements and job offers.

If it was bad and I didn't get in I will be more prepared for the uni's with a September start at least!

CC
Reply 6
Just found out I have an interview for Manchester Metropolitan on 23rd Nov so this was helpful! Thanks! They've sent me some guidance on what to expect and it sounds like it'll be a similar day.

I'm in the same boat with the bursary.. I won't be able to do the course without one.. I think your chances of getting it are quite high though as my friend has just finished her social work MA and she applied about a week before the course started and got allocated a bursary even though it's a first come first serve basis! I'm going to try not to worry about it too much until nearer the time..

Hope you get good news from Leeds!
Hi all

I also graduated in 2014 and have been working admin roles within Children's Services and have had five years experience with Victim Support and a vulnerable girls group.

I've aplied for Worcester as a first option, Birmingham, Keele, Warwick and I'm yet to decide on a 5th option, however I need it to be within travelling distance of my home in Worcester.

I'm submitting my application as soon as my reference is completed! I totally feel the same with the personal statement, just not enough characters!! Hope to get an interview as this is genuinely what I've always wanted to do!

Has anyone else had interviews? I'm worried that I'm applying too late.
Original post by Canongon
That's exactly my thought process for where I'm applying. Birmingham is top choice because it's cheapest and easiest commute from home. Warwick is last because the fees are absolutely extortionate, but I feel like I should apply just incase I don't get accepted anywhere else, I'll just have to work my balls off to pay for it!

My personal statement is just full of those cheeses sentences that you just can't seem to escape. Trying hard not to turn it into a sob story though.

I've got A Brief Introduction, it's good, gets a bit flouncy in places but is helpful! I keep looking on amazon seeing if there was anything that might be helpful at this stage, but I don't want to get too carried away..

Good luck with your applications!

I feel exactly the same as you!! Birmingham would probably be the best option for me besides Worcester.

Have you had an interview yet?
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm a third year student at Salford studying Counselling and Psychotherapy and I sent off my UCAS yesterday to study postgrad Social Work at Manchester, Salford and MMU.

I've had a few voluntary roles over the last year or so working in several different settings, so I'm hoping that I have enough experience to be able to get to the interview stage! But I hated writing my personal statement - I remember feeling the same when I applied at undergraduate level - there's just not enough room to get everything in! :laugh:

Glad it's sent off though now so that I can relax a little bit. Good luck to all of you!
Original post by glr1234
Just found out I have an interview for Manchester Metropolitan on 23rd Nov so this was helpful! Thanks! They've sent me some guidance on what to expect and it sounds like it'll be a similar day.

I'm in the same boat with the bursary.. I won't be able to do the course without one.. I think your chances of getting it are quite high though as my friend has just finished her social work MA and she applied about a week before the course started and got allocated a bursary even though it's a first come first serve basis! I'm going to try not to worry about it too much until nearer the time..

Good news! I found out on Thursday I've got into Leeds so just the bursary to worry about now, apparently, they are going to contact everyone soon. Lets us know how it goes and I'm sure you will be fine!

Anyone else going to Leeds in January?

CC
Original post by glr1234

Hey!!
How did your interview go? I've an interview for MMU on 1st Decemeber and I'm really nervous!!

Also similar to you with the bursary issue!
Original post by gemmaAkaMe
Hey!!
How did your interview go? I've an interview for MMU on 1st Decemeber and I'm really nervous!!

Also similar to you with the bursary issue!

I also have an interview at MMU on the 1st! Ive not got a clue what to expect - good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Hi, has any applied for the masters in social work at any London universities e.g. Greenwich, Middlesex, South Bank? If so, have you had any interviews yet?
Reply 14
The interview at MMU went really well thanks, I got an offer of a place the day after! The tutors were really nice and make you really comfortable so no need to be nervous!

The written task was fairly simple it was a scenario and we just had to write down our main concerns and how we would support her as a social worker.. I think as long as your response is reasonable then you'll be fine as they get that we're not yet experts!

The group task involved discussing in pairs two topics which were 'should people pay for their social care' and 'should refugees get free healthcare and welfare' then we each had to present for 2 minutes our thoughts on one of them.

In the individual interview they asked me why I want to do social work and how do my skills, experience and strengths fit with the profession, what social work values are then asked me to give examples of when I have used them in either work or personal life, why I think working in a team is good and how I would deal with conflicts and there was a another question but it's all a blur now! They said they ask everyone the same questions to make it fair so there's a good chance you will get asked those things.

Good luck! :smile:

P.s has anyone heard anything from Salford yet?? I have another interview for Manchester Uni on 12th Dec but still nothing from Salford :frown:
Reply 15
Aw glad you got in! Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by glr1234
The interview at MMU went really well thanks, I got an offer of a place the day after! The tutors were really nice and make you really comfortable so no need to be nervous!

The written task was fairly simple it was a scenario and we just had to write down our main concerns and how we would support her as a social worker.. I think as long as your response is reasonable then you'll be fine as they get that we're not yet experts!

The group task involved discussing in pairs two topics which were 'should people pay for their social care' and 'should refugees get free healthcare and welfare' then we each had to present for 2 minutes our thoughts on one of them.

In the individual interview they asked me why I want to do social work and how do my skills, experience and strengths fit with the profession, what social work values are then asked me to give examples of when I have used them in either work or personal life, why I think working in a team is good and how I would deal with conflicts and there was a another question but it's all a blur now! They said they ask everyone the same questions to make it fair so there's a good chance you will get asked those things.

Good luck! :smile:

P.s has anyone heard anything from Salford yet?? I have another interview for Manchester Uni on 12th Dec but still nothing from Salford :frown:

Congratulations on your offer!! :biggrin: & thanks so much for all of the information about the interview! Out of interest, can I ask how long the day lasted for you? It says on the information document that they have forwarded to me that the interview day won't finish any later than 430pm, but I know that these things don't always run according to plan.

I'm yet to hear anything from either Salford or Manchester yet, but I expected as much applying so late on - I'm actually really impressed with the quick communication from MMU. I vaguely remember from trailing through old threads on here that Salford had a lot of MA interviews after Christmas, so I'm not sure if they wait until they've had all of their applications in before they offer interviews? I am completely guessing though and would rather not have to wait so long for an answer! :colondollar:

Good luck in your interview at Manchester!! :h:
Thank you so much for your help! So useful!! I've deferred my interview until January luckily. MMU do seem really helpful and friendly
Thanks again!!
Original post by mconnelly9
I also have an interview at MMU on the 1st! Ive not got a clue what to expect - good luck :smile:

Good luck to you too! I've deferred mine until January now as I can't get the time off work in December unfortunately. Do let me know how it goes though!! All the best!
Reply 19
Original post by olorib
Hi, has any applied for the masters in social work at any London universities e.g. Greenwich, Middlesex, South Bank? If so, have you had any interviews yet?

I'm going to apply for Greenwich but haven't done so yet!! I'm there currently as an under grad ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest