The Student Room Group

Is it weird to keep the t-shirt of an ex?

Me n my ex broke up like 6 months ago and i just found a tshirt of his.. not really any point giving it back and i cba to meet him. i am very over him. i do like the tshirt though. is it weird to keep it? would other people find that weird and think i'm not over him? i just like the tshirt

don't tell me to give it back i'm not going to its either keep it or charity shop

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, are you going to wear it? Are you keeping it to remind yourself of him? There's nothing weird with it unless you're gonna do some witchcraft with it and curse his soul. You could get a few quid from it at a charity shop but it's up to you.
Yeah, I'd keep it.

Pragmatism ftw.
depends... I've kept gifts from ex boyfriends, nothing that means anything but a DVD I like or something cos why would I get rid of something that's going to be useful

if the shirt means something to you or will make you think of your ex then get rid, if it's purely practical then keep it

bear in mind a future boyfriend might be weirded out if they find out you still have a shirt from your ex
Original post by doodle_333

bear in mind a future boyfriend might be weirded out if they find out you still have a shirt from your ex

Only thing to watch out for
I think it's not weird at all. Especially if it is a nice t-shirt or if you have good memories connected to it.
No, unless you plan to do some weird voodoo with it.
Nah, not odd. As long as you aren't keeping it for sentimental reasons, I don't see an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless you plan on wearing it, it's pointless keeping it.

Original post by doodle_333

Why would she tell any future boyfriend that she kept a t-shirt from an ex? That's a really stupid thing to do. It's akin to going around the house and telling him everything that has come from previous relationships.

"So this is a snowglobe Harry got me from Bali, this is a curtain rail Dave got me from Mexico... yeah don't ask, Dave was weird. Massive cock though, it was like riding an award-winning courgette. Anyway, this is the collection of bath bombs that Mike got me from Paris, and this is the bathrobe that Simon got me from Canada. Oh, and this is my cat. Which my most recent ex rescued from the sanctuary for me. Oops, silly me! Sorry, he wasn't my most recent; my most recent gave me this shirt. It still smells of him, want a sniff?"

Ain't gonna happen.
Keep it. He probably has hundreds of them. He won't miss 1, will he?
Hey some exes smell really good. Nothing wrong with keeping a nice smelling t-shirt (or sleeping with it scrunched up into your nose)
I've kept clothing items of ex's before simply because I like wearing the clothing item :tongue: and if I don't like it then I'll throw it away (Although this is rare because I mostly "borrow" the things I do like xD) Its nothing personal and it certainly does not mean I am not over them :lol:

I think the only thing that I do like but wont wear from an ex is a necklace because it has a lot of connotations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
Unless you plan on wearing it, it's pointless keeping it.

Why would she tell any future boyfriend that she kept a t-shirt from an ex? That's a really stupid thing to do. It's akin to going around the house and telling him everything that has come from previous relationships.

"So this is a snowglobe Harry got me from Bali, this is a curtain rail Dave got me from Mexico... yeah don't ask, Dave was weird. Massive cock though, it was like riding an award-winning courgette. Anyway, this is the collection of bath bombs that Mike got me from Paris, and this is the bathrobe that Simon got me from Canada. Oh, and this is my cat. Which my most recent ex rescued from the sanctuary for me. Oops, silly me! Sorry, he wasn't my most recent; my most recent gave me this shirt. It still smells of him, want a sniff?"

Ain't gonna happen.

Even if they ask where you got those?
Original post by donutellme
Even if they ask where you got those?

Why would they?

And even if, for some weird reason, they ask her where she got a random item of clothing from, all she has to do is lie. It's no big deal.

Let's assume that the item of clothing in question is obviously a mans' shirt (as that's pretty much the only reason I can think of concerning why someone else would ask why she has it); all she has to do is say "I wanted a comfy lounge shirt to doss about in around the house".

I'm not condoning perpetual dishonesty; in this case a little white lie will save peoples' feelings from potentially being hurt, thus avoiding an unnecessary awkward situation.
It's a little bit weird, because it is a male t-shirt, if you were to wear it, it would probably not fit. what would you do with a t-shirt that you "just like". are you going to give it to your next boyfriend as a gift?
Why would they?

And even if, for some weird reason, they ask her where she got a random item of clothing from, all she has to do is lie. It's no big deal.

Let's assume that the item of clothing in question is obviously a mans' shirt (as that's pretty much the only reason I can think of concerning why someone else would ask why she has it); all she has to do is say "I wanted a comfy lounge shirt to doss about in around the house".

I'm not condoning perpetual dishonesty; in this case a little white lie will save peoples' feelings from potentially being hurt, thus avoiding an unnecessary awkward situation.

Ah you're one of those people...
nah of course its not
Ah you're one of those people...

If by "one of those people" you mean "someone who likes to avoid unnecessary drama" then yeah, you got me bang to rights.
If by "one of those people" you mean "someone who likes to avoid unnecessary drama" then yeah, you got me bang to rights.

Nope, I mean dishonest sacks who'd rather lie to their significant other for their own convenience.
Nope, I mean dishonest sacks who'd rather lie to their significant other for their own convenience.

As opposed to being honest with them for my own inconvenience? I'll be sure to jot that one down for future use! :wink:

I'm not suggesting that lying is a good thing, nor am I taking any moral high ground. All I'm saying is that in certain situations it'd be ignorant for anyone to suggest that lying cannot be practically beneficial.

In this situation, it'd be very easy for someone to kick off because their partner has something belonging to an ex, and lying about where that something came from saves a hell of a lot of unnecessary ********.

It's a white lie about something little; if it was about something that actually mattered then honestly is always the best policy, both for the integrity of the relationship and for the absolving of any guilt. But over where a shirt came from? Small fish, it doesn't matter.

Let me put it this way: if the shirt came from River Island, but OP said it came from New Look, is that any worse than if it came from an ex but OP said it came from New Look?
If we're discussing principles of morality then a lie is a lie, right? It's still dishonesty because OP wouldn't be being truthful about where the shirt came from. But why does the shirts' origin of any importance? It's completely irrelevant to the relationship.

This is the level of ridicule we're at, because it really doesn't matter where the shirt came from. It's completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and certainly isn't on the same level as, for example, lying about sleeping with someone else.

So yeah, I'd much rather lie about something completely insignificant for both my and my partners' convenience than to open a can of worms over it. You can paint it as immoral as you like, but you can't deny that it's far more beneficial for all involved than potentially making a mountain out of a molehill.

I've already said that I'm not condoning perpetual dishonesty, and unless you're a saint then there's no way you can look me in the eye and tell me that you've never told a white lie (because if you ever have told a white lie, it would make you a hypocrite for coming down on me for this).

Edit: of course, the length of the relationship and how you think they'll react should also factor into the equation. If you've been with them for long enough, and they're mature enough to not make a big deal out of this, then being honest is probably the best foot forward. But for a new relationship? Hell no, you don't know how they're going to react. So placate them.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest