The Student Room Group

Why are people against political correctness?

You can say pretty much what you want, except some extreme, illegal things - you see people saying what they want all the time on TSR. Political correctness is not some Orwellian crackdown on free speech. It seems to me that those who complain about political correctness are complaining that it is now socially taboo to use derogatory language against minorities and to unjustly hurt people's feelings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Because it isn't illegal things that are called hate speech, racist etc. In PC culture.

The only speech that should be stopped is inciting violence, actual incitement not what PC sjw's say is inciting violence.
God forbid anyone's feelings get hurt!!! Oh heavens no, we can't possibly have that. Roll out the thought police lads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PC is going too far. stuff like safef spaces is pushing it.

The SJW culture is on the retreat, since they emphasise the negatie of political correctness.
saying racist, homophobic, sexist stuff is not on. but then not saying "torture" in a class at history of warfare class is pretty dim.this is one of many reasons why people hate political correctness.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
You can say pretty much what you want, except some extreme, illegal things - you see people saying what they want all the time on TSR. Political correctness is not some Orwellian crackdown on free speech. It seems to me that those who complain about political correctness are complaining that it is now socially taboo to use derogatory language against minorities and to unjustly hurt people's feelings.

There's political correctness that's necessary, but then there's 'political correctness' that's pretty damn unnecessary.

For example, saying something racist to someone to the extent it's bullying isn't on. However, changing the nursery rhyme 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' to 'Ba Ba Rainbow Sheep' to prevent offence is flipping stupid.*

*Yes, this actually happened in nurseries all over the UK.

People are relying on internet anonymity to express their views like TSR, because they're afraid to be called xenophobic and any other kind of phobic in public even when they're aren't. Universities are becoming echo chambers where speakers are getting banned because they may offend someone, employers choosing workers based on someones gender or ethnicity rather than their merits just to appear more PC, trying to remove historic statues and many other things. It simply has gone too far.
Original post by ShannyMorrison
There's political correctness that's necessary, but then there's 'political correctness' that's pretty damn unnecessary.

For example, saying something racist to someone to the extent it's bullying isn't on. However, changing the nursery rhyme 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' to 'Ba Ba Rainbow Sheep' to prevent offence is flipping stupid.*

*Yes, this actually happened in nurseries all over the UK.

It happened in two nurseries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm
I think a lot of people have a warped view of political correctness. They view it as something Orwellian that prevents you from expressing your opinion and limits your freedom of expression. When political correctness is just a way of avoiding the negative connotations of words and phrases ('Black people' instead of 'negroes', 'gay' instead of '******', etc.) there's nothing wrong with it. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect not to have to be subjected to needless abuse in the interests of free speech, which is really just an excuse to fragment society.

The only issue is where political correctness stifles proper debate. Other than things which threaten the fabric of our society by inciting violence and division, nothing with a political motive should be censored, even if those views are not in accordance with the status quo.

I don't hate political correctness. In fact, I'm more frustrated with the people who think political correctness is some draconian gag on free speech, when really it's not. It's just a means to promote unity within society without compromising freedom of expression and tolerance for other people's views.
(edited 7 years ago)
how about this my friend back in school got excluded for 3 days for saying the n-word
do you want to know the Shyamalanian twist

Spoiler

Original post by jamesthehustler
how about this my friend back in school got excluded for 3 days for saying the n-word
do you want to know the Shyamalanian twist

Spoiler

What else is the school supposed to do? They can't outright say only some ethnicities can use certain words.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What else is the school supposed to do? They can't outright say only some ethnicities can use certain words.

the whole class protested the matter and they removed it from his permanent file admittedly after the event but a success none the less (it might have had something to with my connections to the BBC kent radio station)
I do agree with that argument but he couldn't cause offence given the situation it was just paperwork and BS
Political correctness is of course exaggerated, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. See the university who cancelled an appearance from an ex-Muslim (Maryam Namazie) because some would have been "offended" by it as an example. That's the sort of thing I'd consider political correctness gone way too far.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

No it didn't? I did work experience in nurseries as part of my early education and childcare course, I saw four of them in Glasgow alone? They said Ba Ba Rainbow Sheep and Ba Ba Sheep Sheep.
Reply 14
Political correctness encourages people to make decisions based on emotions and stop saying certain things in order to not get somebody's feelings hurt. It goes against critical thinking, and therefore, slows down the progression of society.

By the way, being against racism isn't "political correctness", it's just being a decent human being.
Political correctness does not work. Block people from saying offensive things, but what constitutes as offensive? Who makes the boundary between offensive and not offensive? This is why micro-aggression exists: you can literally say anything, and someone can subjectively take offense to it.
The only speech I think should be blocked is speech that encourages violence and negative actions, as in "lets kill him now" (which results in murder/attempted murder).
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably because some people value a free exchange of ideas
You can say pretty much what you want, except some extreme, illegal things .

Seriously?
Where have you been for the last four or five years.

Quick Reply

Latest