The Student Room Group

How to win an online Debate (Even when you are clearly in the wrong)

Want to win an online debate, even when you have no insight are are clearly in the wrong? Follow these 9 simple rules and you too can be an Internet champion.

http://thesatedire.com/features/how-to-win-a-twitter-argument-even-when-you-are-clearly-wrong/

Scroll to see replies

Never argue with an idiot.

They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Reply 3
Original post by XMaramena
Never argue with an idiot.

They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I love that quote. It sounds like a flippant play on words but actually is profoundly true.
Missed out some very common TSR ones-

"source?"
"Ad hominem"
And the buzzfeed buzzwords - "I've shut you down" "I've destroyed your argument"
Reply 5
Original post by PrinceHarrys

I don't know who this is, what this is or why, but I'm a little bit unsettled.
Original post by Damien96
I don't know who this is, what this is or why, but I'm a little bit unsettled.

Original post by Trinculo

"source?"
"Ad hominem"
And the buzzfeed buzzwords - "I've shut you down" "I've destroyed your argument"

Nothing wrong in asking for the source if someone if putting forward facts and statements which they sat are true. In reality many people just make things up.
Reply 8

was gonna post this instead.. legendary :biggrin:
Reply 10

"source?"
"Ad hominem"

Oh the "Destroyed" one is the worst. It's a conversation, not a competitive sport. It reeks of impotence when someone applies violent imagery to debate.

bit.ly/1Mw2CBt
Reply 11

Hahaha. That is perfect.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Nothing wrong in asking for the source if someone if putting forward facts and statements which they sat are true. In reality many people just make things up.

Yeah. I think asking for evidence when someone makes a spurious claim is allowed, but it is an Internet cliche along with the others listed.
Reply 13
Original post by PrinceHarrys

Ah, now it's entirely clear.
Ah, now it's entirely clear.

"source?"
"Ad hominem"

''Logic'', ''My argument is logical'', ''I logict u so hard'', ''it's simple logic''
Reply 16
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
''Logic'', ''My argument is logical'', ''I logict u so hard'', ''it's simple logic''

Bent over and logict til sore. Not that there is any sexual frustration in this but you were destroyed, punk'd and owned biatch. Feel free to add your own rape imagery.
Bent over and logict til sore. Not that there is any sexual frustration in this but you were destroyed, punk'd and owned biatch. Feel free to add your own rape imagery.

I hope the hole in your logic is ready for my reason rod :sexface:
Reply 18
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
I hope the hole in your logic is ready for my reason rod :sexface:

Hahaha! I'm in public and genuionely laughed out loud.

I emptied my sack of facts in your lying mouth.
Hahaha! I'm in public and genuionely laughed out loud.

I emptied my sack of facts in your lying mouth.

I will make you swallow my logical fallacy

Quick Reply