The Student Room Group

Keele or Leicester medical school?

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Where do I have the best shot? Repping all good answers as I have an internal deadline to meet on Thursday.

GCSE- 7A* 3A (A's in maths, eng lang, ICT)
UKCAT- 640 Band 2 :frown:
AS- AAAB (A's in bio, chem, maths)
Predicted- A*A*A

I have 168 hrs volunteering over 6 months in 2014 with disabled adults and children.
In Aug I started volunteering at a hospice (15hrs so far, I do 2hrs 30 mins weekly so it will go up, intend to carry on all A2) I know I started this late but sadly I signed up in Jan when I decided I was definite on med after AS mocks and the DBS, meetings, training etc took a very long time. EDIT: Keele count volunteering in the last 3 years.
WE: shadowing a nurse for a day, 2 different GP's over 3 days, medical research department at a hospital. Been trying to organise hospital work experience, I might finally be getting somewhere but it will be too late to put on PS etc.
First aider with St. John Ambulance, bio and chem mentor for AS students, showjumper for 10 years(national level), weightlifter as a hobby, nothing serious. Completed NCS, part of a medical society, taken part in a med research project with peers, attended dementia learning sessions, take part in HE+ Chemistry, all the general stuff, nothing special at all.

I score 41/48 on Leicester scoring system for 2017 entry. This is very borderline(please can someone confirm this?)
For Keele, they rely heavily on the R&R form which may be subjective- I have many hours of volunteering but none in 2015 so... On top of this, Keele has such a small success ratio (0.08 on medic portal compared to 0.18 for Leicester) and a much smaller number of places for a larger number of applicants. Do you think that because the offer has gone up to A*AA they will receive less applicants?
If I'm being completely honest, I prefer Leicester. Keele seems very isolated so I'm concerned about the area not being great. On the other hand, I'm not bothered where I end up. I just want nothing more than to study medicine that I would literally go anywhere to maximise my chances. Leicester just seems risky with that score (think its 85/86%), borderline for the past few year but I fear it will go up.
Incase its of any interest, my other three options are Liverpool, HYMS, UEA.
REPPING ALL HELPFUL ANSWERS, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orangeflower6
PLEASE HELP ME!!! Where do I have the best shot? Repping all good answers as I have an internal deadline to meet on Thursday.

Predicted- A*AA/A*A*A (still under debate)

I have 168 hrs volunteering over 6 months in 2014 with disabled adults and children.
In Aug I started volunteering at a hospice (15hrs so far, I do 2hrs 30 mins weekly so it will go up, intend to carry on all A2) I know I started this late but sadly I signed up in Jan when I decided I was definite on med after AS mocks and the DBS, meetings, training etc took a very long time. EDIT: Keele count volunteering in the last 3 years.
WE: shadowing a nurse for a day, 2 different GP's over 3 days, medical research department at a hospital. Been trying to organise hospital work experience, I might finally be getting somewhere but it will be too late to put on PS etc.
First aider with St. John Ambulance, bio and chem mentor for AS students, showjumper for 10 years(national level), weightlifter as a hobby, nothing serious. Completed NCS, part of a medical society, taken part in a med research project with peers, attended dementia learning sessions, take part in HE+ Chemistry, all the general stuff, nothing special at all.

I score 41/48 on Leicester scoring system for 2017 entry. This is very borderline(please can someone confirm this?)
For Keele, they rely heavily on the R&R form which may be subjective- I have many hours of volunteering but none in 2015 so... On top of this, Keele has such a small success ratio (0.08 on medic portal compared to 0.18 for Leicester) and a much smaller number of places for a larger number of applicants. Do you think that because the offer has gone up to A*AA they will receive less applicants?
If I'm being completely honest, I prefer Leicester. Keele seems very isolated so I'm concerned about the area not being great. On the other hand, I'm not bothered where I end up. I just want nothing more than to study medicine that I would literally go anywhere to maximise my chances. Leicester just seems risky with that score (think its 85/86%), borderline for the past few year but I fear it will go up.

Difficult to know because of the different scoring system at Leicester this year but got an interview with 60.5/68 last year (2016 entry) don't know what the cut off was. For 2015 entry the cut off was 59/68. These sort of suggest you would be OK but probably the best thing to do is email them for advice, they were really nice and do respond to questions.
Original post by newgirl66
Difficult to know because of the different scoring system at Leicester this year but got an interview with 60.5/68 last year (2016 entry) don't know what the cut off was. For 2015 entry the cut off was 59/68. These sort of suggest you would be OK but probably the best thing to do is email them for advice, they were really nice and do respond to questions.

Yes, it's out of 48 instead so I'm just trying to compare my percentage to percentages on last years thread, not sure how effective this is. Thank you, will have to email them.
Yes, it's out of 48 instead so I'm just trying to compare my percentage to percentages on last years thread, not sure how effective this is. Thank you, will have to email them.

BUMP!!! Sorry to be annoying but I'm really stressing!! I have to send my UCAS to my tutor on Thursday! Will rep all useful replies! Also willing to apply to Aberdeen if it maximises my chances!!!!!!!!!
You know you have 1 gem right? Even for people who sadly devote themselves to gaining fake worthless internet points, one point is nothing.

Anyway your stats are really good you can apply almost anywhere apart from places with high cut off scores.
Original post by Squishy•
You know you have 1 gem right? Even for people who sadly devote themselves to gaining fake worthless internet points, one point is nothing.

Anyway your stats are really good you can apply almost anywhere apart from places with high cut off scores.

What do you mean? Haha I suppose, but when people are spending their own time helping me its the least I can do, I'm not really sure how else to thank them! Thank you... I'm just trying to weigh up the pros/cons of my last option! Hope your application is going well if you're applying
anyone?
BUMP!!! Sorry to be annoying but I'm really stressing!! I have to send my UCAS to my tutor on Thursday! Will rep all useful replies! Also willing to apply to Aberdeen if it maximises my chances!!!!!!!!!

And you're worried about Keele being isolated?
If you aren't sure about Keele then its Leicester
If you aren't sure about Leicester then its Keele
If you aren't sure about either then its time to take a chance based on pros & cons, look for other options or give it up and play it safe for a biological sciences degree that may lead into medical later on
Original post by Colinj451
And you're worried about Keele being isolated?
If you aren't sure about Keele then its Leicester
If you aren't sure about Leicester then its Keele
If you aren't sure about either then its time to take a chance based on pros & cons, look for other options or give it up and play it safe for a biological sciences degree that may lead into medical later on

I have weighed up all the pros and cons (above) but can't decide. I'm not going to for biological sciences route, I am just stuck on this last option as my UKCAT hinders me slightly. Thank you.
Is anyone able to give me further advice? I will be so so grateful!
Just read what you have put about the choices.....

If the issue of Keele is the area then you won't be able to resolve that unless you visit and explore the surrounding area. Newcastle-under-Lyne is meant to be ok, but nowt special. Bear in mind you'll be doing 100hr weeks anyway so you won't get to see the outside wherever you are
If the other options you have are higher ranked than Leicester then you do risk being rejected from all 4 places, otherwise I would probably suggest Leicester given your indifference to Keele

Predicted- A*A*A

For Leicester, you seemed to have missed the point of work experience if you think listing it like that will get you anywhere. Someone could have done 2 hours and someone could have done 1000 hours. It makes very little difference unless you can reflect on it and say what you learned. i.e. I shadowed a nurse and saw how integral and it made me contemplate the different aspects of holistic care...However, I have a long term placement with working with differently abled children and the doctor there really inspired be because.... I am not for one minute suggesting any of these are your thoughts, but, you have to demonstrate you have learnt something from these experiences and more importantly they have influenced your decision for choosing Medicine. For Keele's form though this kind of excessive listing of experience seems to be looked on favourably...weird.

- I have no idea how the Leicester scoring system works these days so can't help you with that.
- Success ratios mean very little, i'd ignore that.
- It is hard to predict what their applicant number will do, in fact i'd assume it'd decrease slightly as morale is at an all time low so less overall people choosing Medicine. (that is a guess)

In summary, I usually tell people to apply smart, however for you I am saying the opposite...stop worrying, apply where you prefer. If you prefer Leicester, put it down. The worst that can happen is you can have a wonderful gap year and apply next year with lots of meaningful experience and a lovely suntan.

Predicted- A*A*A

I would probably say Keele with those voluntary hours!
Original post by Natalierm2707
I would probably say Keele with those voluntary hours!

So do you think it matters when I have done the hours or just that I have them?
Thank you very much, tried to rep you but it says I need to rep more people before repping you again!:redface:
Original post by -Simon-
For Leicester, you seemed to have missed the point of work experience if you think listing it like that will get you anywhere. Someone could have done 2 hours and someone could have done 1000 hours. It makes very little difference unless you can reflect on it and say what you learned. i.e. I shadowed a nurse and saw how integral and it made me contemplate the different aspects of holistic care...However, I have a long term placement with working with differently abled children and the doctor there really inspired be because.... I am not for one minute suggesting any of these are your thoughts, but, you have to demonstrate you have learnt something from these experiences and more importantly they have influenced your decision for choosing Medicine. For Keele's form though this kind of excessive listing of experience seems to be looked on favourably...weird.

- I have no idea how the Leicester scoring system works these days so can't help you with that.
- Success ratios mean very little, i'd ignore that.
- It is hard to predict what their applicant number will do, in fact i'd assume it'd decrease slightly as morale is at an all time low so less overall people choosing Medicine. (that is a guess)

In summary, I usually tell people to apply smart, however for you I am saying the opposite...stop worrying, apply where you prefer. If you prefer Leicester, put it down. The worst that can happen is you can have a wonderful gap year and apply next year with lots of meaningful experience and a lovely suntan.

Thank you for such a detailed response, you've been a great help:redface:
So do you think it matters when I have done the hours or just that I have them?
Thank you very much, tried to rep you but it says I need to rep more people before repping you again!:redface:

Well if keele count voluntary hours within the last 3 years then 2014 is still within 3 years, so it shouldnt matter, its about what you learnt from them of course, but your voluntary work and work experience will make the keele experience form glow if you word it correctly.
Well if keele count voluntary hours within the last 3 years then 2014 is still within 3 years, so it shouldnt matter, its about what you learnt from them of course, but your voluntary work and work experience will make the keele experience form glow if you word it correctly.

What university do u go? u been on here for a while what do u do?

Yes they do. Honestly I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me over the past month! My plan forwards from here is to draft the Keele R and R form tomorrow.. if I can get it spot on, I'm going to go for it:h:
Reply 18
You have loads of volunteering, I'd say Keele is a better choice
Original post by Squishy•
What university do u go? u been on here for a while what do u do?

Cardiff medicine x