The Student Room Group

Guys, how can girls improve their looks?

I unfortunately wasn't gifted in the looks department. I'm not so ugly I break mirrors or anything and I'm pretty sure my mum didn't think about drowning me at birth. Also, I've managed to secure myself some wonderful partners over the years.

However, I have one motherducking face that needs improving. Don't tell me 'you're perfect the way you are' because if I wanted to hear that I'd have asked my mum for advice, not the internet. Don't get cute with me.

What can make a girl go from a 4 to a 9?

...or even a 4 to a 4.5 because, you know, everything's appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Post a picture. There's no good, tailored advice without some fabric to work with.
I'm not a guy.
Watch makeup tutorials. She was pretty before the makeup though
[video="youtube;Nj8NeLUeoiQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8NeLUeoiQ[/video]
Picture is needed. You can cover the features if you want, just face shape and hair will do.
Original post by ShannyMorrison
I unfortunately wasn't gifted in the looks department. I'm not so ugly I break mirrors or anything and I'm pretty sure my mum didn't think about drowning me at birth. Also, I've managed to secure myself some wonderful partners over the years.

However, I have one motherducking face that needs improving. Don't tell me 'you're perfect the way you are' because if I wanted to hear that I'd have asked my mum for advice, not the internet. Don't get cute with me.

If you've managed to secure multiple relationships, I'd imagine you're probably better looking than you say. Excluding make-up and cosmetic surgery, I'd probably just recommend exercising to tone your body more(if you aren't already fit).
From my personal perspective:
- I much prefer no makeup at least while in a relationship. It makes me feel like you're more comfortable with me and yourself. If you just want to look aesthetic, then lather it on.
- It's not about how you look, it's about how you present yourself. Work on exuding more confidence.
- Work on your posture
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you've managed to secure multiple relationships, I'd imagine you're probably better looking than you say. Excluding make-up and cosmetic surgery, I'd probably just recommend exercising to tone your body more(if you aren't already fit).

Awe, thanks GradeA :biggrin:

To be honest with you most of the people I've dated tell me I'm funny or nice and that's why they like me. Not sure if it's true but it's good enough for me!

...either that or they're chubby chasers
I'm not a girl, can I still answer? Ok? Yeah ok I will. Without being anything to work with, top tips are:
•thread excess hairs
•Wear light amounts of makeup (coating of mascara, some concealer here and there and blusher)
•Brush your hair and style it up differently now and then
Use quinoderm every night if you have spots
Drink lots of water. LOTS
SMILE!
Awe, thanks GradeA :biggrin:

To be honest with you most of the people I've dated tell me I'm funny or nice and that's why they like me. Not sure if it's true but it's good enough for me!

...either that or they're chubby chasers

If you want to lose some weight, I'd recommend rowing. It's like running, but not as impactful on your joints, so it's less painful, so to speak(although running is better for bone density increase, but I don't think you're interested in that, haha).
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Post a picture. There's no good, tailored advice without some fabric to work with.

I don't actually have a picture, I've only just realised this :') sorry, I really didn't think that through
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you want to lose some weight, I'd recommend rowing. It's like running, but not as impactful on your joints, so it's less painful, so to speak(although running is better for bone density increase, but I don't think you're interested in that, haha).

Swimming is great because you're surrounded by coolant so not only are you burning lots of calories to heat your body, there's also much less sweat. Oh, and there's practically zero impact and dude you're floating.

you're perfect the way you are

Spoiler

Number 1: You can't change your face unless you go for plastic surgery. Even if you did you would still be the same you underneath. You need to change the way you view yourself. Girl you are not ugly and you need to start believing that. At my very lowest I spent 3 years of my life hating the way I looked. I went on a night out with my new uni friends and in all honesty just one lipstick MAC's Russain Red changed my life. It sounds so silly and so simplistic, but I looked in the mirror (they'd also straightened my hair) and i didn't even feel like me. I felt different. I felt like I was pretty for the first time. The colour is bold and in your face. I was 24 and had never worn make up. I walked into a MAC store and the woman taught me how to actually apply basic things like foundation and eyeshadow. It made me feel better. You can either hate what you've got or work with it.And you are beautiful! Start telling yourself that.

One positive effect lead to another. The make up lead to dressing up. I could flirt with guys because i knew i looked and smelled good. I was more confident. I started running because it made me feel strong.

It doesn't matter what you look like but the vibes you give out about how you feel, that make you attractive or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saraxh
I'm not a guy.
Watch makeup tutorials. She was pretty before the makeup though
[video="youtube;Nj8NeLUeoiQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8NeLUeoiQ[/video]

Oh thank you! I've watched dozens of tutorials but this one actually looks useful, so many beauty gurus have naturally flawless skin in the first place, it's nice to see someone with a zit or two
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I'm not a girl, can I still answer? Ok? Yeah ok I will. Without being anything to work with, top tips are:
•thread excess hairs
•Wear light amounts of makeup (coating of mascara, some concealer here and there and blusher)
SMILE!

What if you look like the Cheshire cat when you smile? :colone::tongue:
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
From my personal perspective:
- I much prefer no makeup at least while in a relationship. It makes me feel like you're more comfortable with me and yourself. If you just want to look aesthetic, then lather it on.
- It's not about how you look, it's about how you present yourself. Work on exuding more confidence.
- Work on your posture

Good point, my posture is terrible. I was thinking about wearing one of those waist trainers for just a few hours a week, apparently they really help
Original post by Pinkberry_y
•thread excess hairs
SMILE!

I always assumed u were a girl for some reason
Original post by jessyjellytot14
What if you look like the Cheshire cat when you smile? :colone::tongue:

I don't really understand what you mean by that
Original post by I am a Lie
I always assumed u were a girl for some reason

Wait I just realised I said I'm not a girl. I meant to say I'm not a boy. (Freudian slip..? :colone:)
Original post by I am a Lie
you're perfect the way you are

Spoiler

Oh, stop it you :heart:

Quick Reply