The Student Room Group

GP Work Experience

Hi :smile:

After emailing/calling/sending letters 36 times, one GP practise has finally said yes to my work experience request! :tongue: I have to do it in the holidays as my school doesn't arrange anything, and I'm going for a week. Also, I'm 15, so I can't apply to a hospital yet. My questions are:

- What should I expect to do? (i.e. will I shadow a GP, or just boring admin work?)

- How do I make the most of this experience? (i.e. preparation for personal statement?)

- What should I wear?

- As I'm 15, will I be restricted from any experiences?

Thanks so much in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by cameron2101
Hi :smile:

After emailing/calling/sending letters 36 times, one GP practise has finally said yes to my work experience request! :tongue: I have to do it in the holidays as my school doesn't arrange anything, and I'm going for a week. Also, I'm 15, so I can't apply to a hospital yet. My questions are:

- What should I expect to do? (i.e. will I shadow a GP, or just boring admin work?)

- How do I make the most of this experience? (i.e. preparation for personal statement?)

- What should I wear?

- As I'm 15, will I be restricted from any experiences?

Thanks so much in advance :smile:

- A decent experience would be sitting in on GP consultations (if the patient is willing), and simply watching. The GP should point out clinical signs (e.g. corneal arcus, nail signs, AF), and may let you have a go at basic things like temperature and blood pressure

- you may be encouraged to spend time with allied health professionals (e.g. nurses, HCAs. This might be quite boring if you're not allowed to do anything, though, such as taking bloods. If your GP does home visits, definitely go with them

- wear smart clothes, bear below the elbow. basically what GPs wear, or junior doctors in hospitals

- you will be restricted on what you can and can't do, because of your age (and therefore the GP surgery won't be covered under indemnity insurance). but you should be able to have a go at non-invasive things like blood pressure as I mentioned

throughout, think how each thing you do helps you to become a better medical student/ doctor. even spending a morning with the receptionists (may be boring, but you can say that gave you a better idea of how primary care is managed, etc.). It might be a little superficial, but it's all about playing the game :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending