The Student Room Group

Making the most of a 2 hour commute?

I've started university at Northampton and I will be commuting from Bedford. From my doorstep to the uni, there are 3 different buses, including a free one provided by the uni. Altogether it takes about 1.5 hours - 2 hours, and the same to get back, and I've attended one day so far. I have no problem with this because half of my course will take place somewhere closer, but it adds up to quite a bit of time so how can I make the most of it? I just don't want to feel like I'm wasting up to 4 hours a day that I could make more productive
Original post by 010197
I've started university at Northampton and I will be commuting from Bedford. From my doorstep to the uni, there are 3 different buses, including a free one provided by the uni. Altogether it takes about 1.5 hours - 2 hours, and the same to get back, and I've attended one day so far. I have no problem with this because half of my course will take place somewhere closer, but it adds up to quite a bit of time so how can I make the most of it? I just don't want to feel like I'm wasting up to 4 hours a day that I could make more productive

Tbh unless you can get books out and start studying it is wasted time tbh
chat up 40 year old business men commuting into london
Off topic but I'm just curious. How much does a journey to and back from your uni on average cost per day?
Reply 4
Play games on your phone, listen to music and I doubt you'll get much work done early in the morning. What's your timetable like?

I commute for an hour, you can sleep for the first hour and half on the train if you're really tired. Put at alarm clock on your phone and make sure you're wearing headphones, so when it plays it will be really loud and you'll wake up. In the evening, you can read lecture slides and do some work etc.

You'll get used to it eventually, good luck!
Original post by 010197

Find you're textbooks online for free as a PDF and you can read them on you're laptop or phone while you're on the journey :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 010197

Hello :smile:,

Take books with you from your course and read them - do extra reading to pass the time, even if you don't fully take the book up, you'll always pick up at least one thing. Record your lectures and listen to them on the journeys and pick up on things you may have missed, plan assignments and what not.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 7
You could perhaps try and learn something different.

You could try to learn a new language using apps and books etc or perhaps just general reading. You could also try and revise some notes from your course, but it is unlikely you will be very productive at all if you try and write essays and do coursework.
How many days a week is that?

For me its sleep, read a book or music or films. Id like to think I could be disiplined enough to read textbooks. I cna work on a train, but bus miore challenging.
Original post by 010197

listen to inspiration podcasts or TED talks and maybe some classical music to get the day off to a start

Quick Reply

Latest