The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine 2017 entry

Hi everyone! Have not seen this thread anywhere yet so thought I would make one, definitly applying! My score is 9. Something (think 9.4? Forgotten now) on the calculator tool. Who else is applying to Birmingham? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm a current 5th year at Birmingham!

Don't know anything about applications since the process has completely changed since I applied, but happy to answer any other questions :smile:
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me what birmingham universities accept access to medicine?
Original post by isabella1999
Hi everyone! Have not seen this thread anywhere yet so thought I would make one, definitly applying! My score is 9. Something (think 9.4? Forgotten now) on the calculator tool. Who else is applying to Birmingham? :redface:

does the calc work for dentistry?
Original post by Ghotay
Hey, I'm a current 5th year at Birmingham!

Don't know anything about applications since the process has completely changed since I applied, but happy to answer any other questions :smile:

Hey! What's it like at Birmingham? And did you live in Selly oak in second year? What is the course like? Do you have time to do other things? Also, I know the city doesnt have the best reputation but does it live up to it? Thanks!
Original post by Itsme15
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me what birmingham universities accept access to medicine?

Sorry don't understands the question :s-smilie:
Original post by Sniperdon227
does the calc work for dentistry?

I think it is just for A100 But I think they have calculator tools on the website for all courses (called an offer calculator) you should check! :biggrin:
Being very thick, but how does the scaling thing work. How do you convert scores?????!!!!
Original post by newgirl66
Being very thick, but how does the scaling thing work. How do you convert scores?????!!!!

Im not sure, you just put your grade down and UKCAT into the calculator thing and it scales for you!

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/medicine-application-score-calculator.xlsx
Reply 9
Hey! What's it like at Birmingham? And did you live in Selly oak in second year? What is the course like? Do you have time to do other things? Also, I know the city doesnt have the best reputation but does it live up to it? Thanks!

I've never lived in Selly Oak actually, mostly because I have a moral opposition to bathrooms being at the end of kitchens, and the rates are pretty outrageous for what you're getting. But there are lots of options close to uni that aren't Selly Oak, and med students in particular tend to move out of selly after 2nd year because we are less tied to the uni as a location, being out on placements in the rest of the west mids

The course is a mostly traditional lecture-based course, but with some early clinical contact (GP one day a fortnight) and some PBL (one day a fortnight).

There is plenty of time to do other things. During preclinical you have an average of 24hrs/week of lectures, small group sessions, and anatomy sessions. It's definitely more work that some degrees out there, but not really more than any other serious academic subject. Medicine really isn't this crazy time-consuming course that everyone believes it is and there's plenty of time to get involved in some sports, societies, etc.

I have never felt unsafe in Birmingham if that's what you're asking about, but it really depends on what you get up to. There have been a few unsavoury events in Selly Oak and on campus in the time I've been here, but I personally have never witnessed anything untoward and am not troubled by walking home at 2 in the morning
Original post by Ghotay
I've never lived in Selly Oak actually, mostly because I have a moral opposition to bathrooms being at the end of kitchens, and the rates are pretty outrageous for what you're getting. But there are lots of options close to uni that aren't Selly Oak, and med students in particular tend to move out of selly after 2nd year because we are less tied to the uni as a location, being out on placements in the rest of the west mids

The course is a mostly traditional lecture-based course, but with some early clinical contact (GP one day a fortnight) and some PBL (one day a fortnight).

There is plenty of time to do other things. During preclinical you have an average of 24hrs/week of lectures, small group sessions, and anatomy sessions. It's definitely more work that some degrees out there, but not really more than any other serious academic subject. Medicine really isn't this crazy time-consuming course that everyone believes it is and there's plenty of time to get involved in some sports, societies, etc.

I have never felt unsafe in Birmingham if that's what you're asking about, but it really depends on what you get up to. There have been a few unsavoury events in Selly Oak and on campus in the time I've been here, but I personally have never witnessed anything untoward and am not troubled by walking home at 2 in the morning

Ew bathrooms at the end Of kitchens? What even :colonhash: oh okay thas actually alright! That's a relief aha thanks
Original post by steamedyaoi
My score works out to be 8.084, do you think it's worth applying?

Yeah, didnt they say that the least they interviewed last year wasn't like 6.7? So youre well above!
Yeah, didnt they say that the least they interviewed last year wasn't like 6.7? So youre well above!

My score works out to be 8.084, do you think it's worth applying?

The 2015-16 cut-off was 6.17 :colondollar: I'm considering applying with 7.667 (semi-flopped the UKCAT) so you'll be more than fine
Yeah my UKCAT didn't go too well either, where else are you planning on applying to?

Keele / HYMS / UEA / (Birmingham or Leicester)

Cardiff, Nottingham & Liverpool were all options but I've slowly eliminated them :colondollar:
Sorry what did you get at GCSE and in your UKCAT?

I have got 10A*s, 2As and 677 UKCAT average

I'm thinking of applying to HYMS and Leicester too

Hi,

We have quite similar stats for GCSE/UKCAT I think:
GCSEs 9A* 1A
UKCAt 717 average
AS AAAA
A Level Predictions A*A*A (Bio, Chem, Maths)

I'm pretty set on applying Birmingham, HYMS, Nottingham and then I'm considering Leicester/UEA/Newcastle

What's your 4th option?
Original post by aRandomGuy
The 2015-16 cut-off was 6.17 :colondollar: I'm considering applying with 7.667 (semi-flopped the UKCAT) so you'll be more than fine

Ah okay my bad :colondollar:
Reply 16
My score works out at 6.50.

GCSE: 6A* 4* 1B
UKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)
AS: 4A
A2 (predicted): A*A*A

Any one got any idea whether it's smart to apply or if it would be a wasted application?
Original post by rmpg
My score works out at 6.50.

GCSE: 6A* 4* 1B
UKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)
AS: 4A
A2 (predicted): A*A*A

Any one got any idea whether it's smart to apply or if it would be a wasted application?

Last years cutoff was 6.17 - it shouldn't rise to 6.50 so you should be fine (borderline fine) but there is still a possible risk
Reply 18
Hi everyone!

I'll be applying to Birmingham for 2017 entry. My calculated score is 10/10 :smile:
Original post by Kozmo
Hi everyone!

I'll be applying to Birmingham for 2017 entry. My calculated score is 10/10 :smile:

Wow amazing stats! Where else are you looking at applying?

Quick Reply