The Student Room Group

Liverpool / Notts W. Exp Surveys

Hi

I have done my work experience in many different places but most of them were for less than a week. Liverpool and Nottingham restrict the number of placements you can put down e.g. 6 for Nottingham. Which will result in the appearance of doing fewer than 6 weeks experience. Is this underrepresentation problematic?
It's not ideal to be honest, but it depends how much you've done in total and how much you have compared to other applicants. I'll be honest six weeks is looking risky for Liverpool; they previously only accepted applicants who'd done at least ten. Are there any placements at all that you did for a week or longer? I would recommend filling the slots with your longest placements, and if there's any room for extra notes then mention your extra placements there. I would also suggest making it explicitly clear how much work experience you've done in your personal statement, however that only makes a difference to Nottingham as Liverpool won't read it.
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did 3 small animal vet placements for a week but most other things were just for a weekend or the odd evening as I travel for work and had to just fit things in whenever and wherever I was. I am reluctant to only put small animal stuff and not to mention, for example, my farm and equine placements, which total 2 weeks each, but were done mainly in 3 day stretches at different places.
(edited 7 years ago)
It'll be a problem for Liverpool as they have a specific amount you are required to do, for example you have to have done a week equine husbandry, a week dog and cat husbandry, and if your placements are under a week then you're not meeting the required amount. Liverpool are big on work experience, and you'll be up against applicants with over 21 weeks work experience so it will massively weaken your application. They also use the work experience scores when deciding who to offer interviews to, and I think with only 6 weeks you're going to be lucky to be offered an interview unless you have planned work experience which you can put down on the form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
But I have met all the quotas and have 16 weeks experience it's just not concurrent at the same places. Seems ridiculous, but thanks for your advice. I guess there is nothing I can do. I just wish this had been made clear at the time
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FluentinLies
But I have met all the quotas and have 16 weeks experience it's just not concurrent at the same places. Seems ridiculous, but thanks for your advice. I guess there is nothing I can do. I just wish this had been made clear at the time

It's down to common sense completing a work experience placement at the one place, most applicants spend 5 days at the one place, or if they can't manage 5 days at the one place they'll scatter those 5 days out but still stay in the same place. It won't matter for the other vet schools but liverpool do unfortunately use the WEX scores for interview, and they've changed the form now so you can't add loads and loads of weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply