Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Severe depression and binge eating

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm 25 and have had issues with my weight all of my life. I suffer with compulsive eating and binge eating. My life revolves around food and it effects how I feel. I've always been big, and was bullied for it during my childhood and teenage years.Food has always been a comfort for me. I have managed to lose 3 stone (42lb) on two separate occasions (2010 & 2013) purely through eating healthily, although I did develop some slight anorexic tendencies but nothing to the point where I would have classed my self as anorexic. Both times I have gained the weight back as my binge eating has been triggered off again and lost all movitatation.For the past 6 months ish I have completely lost control Of my diet. I'm constantly tired and lethargic, severely depressed and anxious, so don't want to cook, and have lived off take aways pretty much everyday and chocolate every day. I'm completely addicted to junk again.As a result I'm almost back tommy highest weight. My anxiety and depression has me completely fixated and obsessed with food, looking at different diets and so on. I'm thinking about cutting everything bad out and going cold turkey. I have considered slimming world as this allows chocolate etc in moderation,, however if it's in the house I will binge on it. Calorie counting makes me very obsessed and I will restrict for a week and binge for a month.. I feel so confused with all the different diet plans as some recommend things like coconut oil and even full fat milk or cream etc and others say don't touch dairy or only have fat free dairy.Please help me, my life is being wasted to my eating and weight issues, I don't know what to do. I've had counselling etc but nothing seems to help. My next thought if I can't get a hold of my diet is paying to go private for surgery..
    Thanks for reading xx

Well, I have no medical knowledge, but would it help to get control of your depression first and let the diet follow?
    If you started to get interested in something apart from food to comfort you during the rough stages, then you might turn to that first.
    I know people who have a cup of coffee and a couple of biscuits when they're low but then they always watch the same videos obsessively, or go for a long walk/run listening to the same music.
    I am probably talking a lot of rubbish, but I wondered if you need more interests and excitement and exercise to take away the importance of food.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.