The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
.Adrian.
You have got to be kidding me....Media studies is easiest subject in A-levels if you look at stats atm with something else cant remember.

Maths has bigger difference than that.
Dont make me laugh!

How do you know? Have you studied both at GCSE and A-Level?
Reply 41
cpj1987
Haha aww, harsh!
:p:
But yeah, I can see your point there - that's one course though, so generalising isn't neccessary. :smile:

It's hard not to generalise when the majority view is the same over the country. I know that there are courses which branch off from media into more specifics and they are harder to get onto and harder to do.
I have alot of friends all over the country doing media or media spin offs, so it's not just my view of one university.
When I initially applied for university...all Business Management courses...I applied without a business A-Level...I did...Maths..Computing..Physics and French...but still received 6 conditional offers...

And like someone said above...using your Personal Statement...sell yourself..and state how things you learn in your current subjects will be able to contribute towards a Business Management course and future career..
In 2006, according to the Joint Council for Qualifications, 43.5% of people taking Maths A-level achieved an A grade, whereas only 13.8% of Media Studies students achieved the same.

This doesn't necessarily mean that one is easier than the other, but it's hardly fair to rubbish my comments when you have no evidence.
Reply 44
strawberry_wise
In 2006, according to the Joint Council for Qualifications, 43.5% of people taking Maths A-level achieved an A grade, whereas only 13.8% of Media Studies students achieved the same.

This doesn't necessarily mean that one is easier than the other, but it's hardly fair to rubbish my comments when you have no evidence.

Well that's because, let's face it, most Media Studies students (no offence to anyone here), but most of them aren't exactly A grade students in anything.
Reply 45
strawberry_wise

Personal opinion, there are two reasons for this:

1) Media is more difficult to get an A in at A-Level; I put my reasons for this point before.
2) Both are equally difficult; but whilst people know what they're getting into when they start a Maths A-Level, and are prepared, and only go into it if they feel they can do reasonably well in it; people go into Media assuming it'll be easy, then realise it isn't, hence the lower percentage of A grades.
Reply 46
That is probably because generally people avoid maths unless they know they have a talent for it where as I know that alot of people take media just on the off chance because they maybe haven't had a chance to study it before and don't know whether they are good at it or not.
I do Film Studies at university and I've got an A in every exam I've ever taken. In anything. Including Maths. :P
Reply 48
Quite frankly, the maths students are probably (on average) of a higher caliber than the media students.
Reply 49
Cushti
Maybe you should learn to spell before taking those big scary A-levels :hugs:.

hehe, if I hadn't used up my rep for today...

Latest

Trending

Trending