The Student Room Group

Would i be better applying for history or law?

My predicted Grades are AAB within my subjects of History, Politics and Literature. I wanted to apply for law initially but all respected universities ask for AAA. However, I noticed you can still get in quite a good university for History with AAB. I don't want to do Law at a low ranking university as you have no chance of getting a training contract.

So essentially what i'm asking is, am I wasting my time applying for AAA law courses? Also if I do opt for history what are graduate prospects like? Would I be better just not going to university?
Original post by NUFC1998
My predicted Grades are AAB within my subjects of History, Politics and Literature. I wanted to apply for law initially but all respected universities ask for AAA. However, I noticed you can still get in quite a good university for History with AAB. I don't want to do Law at a low ranking university as you have no chance of getting a training contract.

So essentially what i'm asking is, am I wasting my time applying for AAA law courses? Also if I do opt for history what are graduate prospects like? Would I be better just not going to university?

History is by no means a pointless degree but if you want to do law apply because universities care about things other than a-level grades especially in law because of the LNAT.
I mean one thing I'd recommend is work experience for a day at a court and see how you feel about law afterward because that's the reality of the profession. I did work experience for politics at parliament and decided politics wasn't for me and I would have otherwise applied for a degree I wouldn't have enjoyed if I hadn't done that.
And do your own research about career prospects, there are a lot for history that you don't think about.
Reply 2
Do you think that you can realistically get AAA? Because if you do manage to get offers they'll be conditional on you achieving those grades. So if you're not prepared to put the work in, or feel that you cannot achieve AAA even when working hard, you really shouldn't apply to AAA unis.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Do you think that you can realistically get AAA? Because if you do manage to get offers they'll be conditional on you achieving those grades. So if you're not prepared to put the work in, or feel that you cannot achieve AAA even when working hard, you really shouldn't apply to AAA unis.

I definitely do think I can get AAA. Will my English teacher raise my prediction. Probably not. The question is will uni's give me an AAA offer with an AAB prediction?
Original post by NUFC1998

I have been told by many people to do a conversion course from history/English or whatever to law. This way it's easier to get in and apparently law in 1st year is really boring and in the second year you simply cover it all again so find more out about conversion courses as I think this is your best bet
I think you should do History at a good uni and then do a conversion course.

People will try to tell you that the uni you go to doesn't matter. Don't believe them. For law, it absolutely matters.
Reply 6
I'm at the Uni of Birmingham studying Law and I've noticed that quite a lot of students missed their grades slightly, by one level or so. I myself got AAB instead of the AAA required. What I'm trying to say is that some Russell Groups have slight leniency in comparison to others. Birmingham, York and Exeter are universities that I know my A-Level cohort managed to get into without AAA. I think if you're spending three years of your life doing a subject, you should realistically go for what you really want to do. If not, you could maybe wait until next year and you've got your definitive A Level results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending