The Student Room Group

Wanting to become a Primary teacher

Hi all

I've known for about a year now that I want to be a primary school teacher. I am in my fourth and last year of my graphic design degree. What can I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You can do lots of things!

I will mention the PGCE which is a one year course. You will do written work such as assignments, and also teach 2 days a week. After this you're basically qualified.

Others will mention some other courses I am sure, but I don't really know about them! If you have any PGCE questions though I can answer them.
Reply 2
Original post by S27
You can do lots of things!

I will mention the PGCE which is a one year course. You will do written work such as assignments, and also teach 2 days a week. After this you're basically qualified.

Others will mention some other courses I am sure, but I don't really know about them! If you have any PGCE questions though I can answer them.

Thanks for replying. I really regret my degree choice but it's too late to get out of it. Is a PGCE like a post grad? Any details would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MsAmaryllis
Thanks for replying. I really regret my degree choice but it's too late to get out of it. Is a PGCE like a post grad? Any details would be great.

Yes. You finish your degree and then do the PGCE which stands for postgrad certificate in education. It's what I and alot of others did on here.

The cost is £9000 but you take out a loan as you did undergrad. Depending on what you teach, you may also get a bursary or scholarship.
Reply 4
Original post by S27
Yes. You finish your degree and then do the PGCE which stands for postgrad certificate in education. It's what I and alot of others did on here.

The cost is £9000 but you take out a loan as you did undergrad. Depending on what you teach, you may also get a bursary or scholarship.

I'm in Scotland so not sure if that would be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MsAmaryllis
Hi all

I've known for about a year now that I want to be a primary school teacher. I am in my fourth and last year of my graphic design degree. What can I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.teachinscotland.org/

http://www.teachinscotland.org/getintoteaching/primary/postgraduateroute.asp
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by S27

The structure of PGCE courses vary massively - I'd say teaching 2 days a week isn't the case with most courses because it doesn't allow you to experience the realities of having a full time timetable. Mine involved block placements where I started off teaching 2 days a week (40% of a fully qualified teacher's timetable) but I was teaching 60% by the end of that first placement. I had an 80% timetable for half of the second placement and for the majority of the last placement too, so I had the same timetable as an NQT most of the time. This made the transition to NQT slightly less of a shock but juggling what was nearly a full time teaching job alongside uni work was tough going at times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending