The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

me and my friends are competetive but we dont want each ohter to completely flop
Reply 21
I am very competitive with people I dont like. There is one guy in my class who applied for the same subject at the same uni as me and does very similar A Levels too. If I beat him I shall be over the moon. If I dont then I will take solice in the fact I got into my first choice and he didnt. (I know how petty and spiteful this sounds but this guy is so self obsessed and arrogant and he has caused loads of problems for friends of mine).

I dont mind my friends beating me unless it's because I havent worked hard enough and then I feel angry with myself. I am ****ing myself this year that one of my friends is going to miss their uni offer. I swear I am as worried for them as I am for me!
Reply 22
Nah i don't compete with friends. I want them to do well just as much as i want myself to do well. That, and the fact that they'd win lol.
Reply 23
Yeah i compete, but nawww, i want all my good friends to get the best grades, as do I. But the ones i am not so fond of... who cares what they get heh.
Reply 24
Oh yes I used to be like that with one girl in particular, she was a friend and a lovely person, but a complete nerd...I still got more A*s than her though so I was happy haha! Bit of schadenfreude is it not?!
I never compete with my friends because I always lose dramatically!

Out of my group of friends that I've sort of become distant from, over half of them probably will end up getting straight As. Which is very depressing.

Out of my 3 best friends, 2 will most likely also get staight As.

I gave up competing a long time ago!
I go to a really competitve school where competition is just like second nature. We're obviously gracious in our defeat or when we beat each other...but that element always remains.
And yes, it does make me feel good inside if I get more than a friend...but I would hate for them to fail... :smile:
This years AS results will be going down to the UMS marks with some of my friends...of course they all say it's a load of fun, but I get the feeling that some of my friends take it a lot more seriously than I do! :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Only because my friends are the annoying type that do no work and end up with top grades, whereas I tend to work my hardest and end up with average or bad grades. So I feel competitive in that I *want* to do better than them, but I know I never will.
Reply 28
I'm not gonna see a lot of my friends on results day so I can't really compare UMS marks with them. Maybe that's a good thing.
Reply 29
I suppose that with everyone there is a degree of competition to do better than someone else; I must admit that I do feel happy when I get a higher grade than one of my friends, however when the tables are turned and I am the one who gets the lower grade, then I am also happy, since my friends have done well, so to me its really like a catch 22, as I am happy either way! lol

I must admit that I was quite competitive with the GCSE's, but moving onto A-Level I have become more relaxed and help my friends out more than I did at GCSE. I'm not saying that I didn't help them out at GCSE-level, as I did, but more so at A-Level, when they needed it and vice versa! :smile:
Reply 30
Yeah competition is pretty fun. I made a lot of bets. In January I won £2 by betting with my friend that I beat him on C3. Unfortunately no one wants to bet money anymore, but there's this kid in my physics class that I have a bet with that if I do better than him at Maths than he does at Physics he pays me a fiver.
I'm indifferent to it mostly.
I only tend to feel competitive towards one of my friends. She gets around the same grades as me and we take 3/4 the same subjects at AS lvl.
Reply 33
damn straight i m competitive...
all through my O level (gcse) my friend got higher marks than me.. and if got like higher marks in like 2 subjects she got all weird and jealous she even admitted that she gets jealous
and at the end during Cambridge papers i took the lead.. a loooooooonnggg lead.. i m so thank full to God
totally worth it :smile:
Reply 34
^ Omg you are too damn clever!
Reply 35
haha.. too happy
Reply 36
I don't really compete with my friends, but I definitely do it with my twin! I trounced her in our GCSEs... but then we went to college and now she's better than me. :frown: Actually, except for maths - I still, and always will (hopefully!), beat her hands down in that. :biggrin:
No competition at all. All my mates are complete slackers really.
Reply 38
xxx Anneka
I don't really compete with my friends, but I definitely do it with my twin! I trounced her in our GCSEs... but then we went to college and now she's better than me. :frown: Actually, except for maths - I still, and always will (hopefully!), beat her hands down in that. :biggrin:

That must be the worst thing about being a twin; always being compared to each other in school/exams.
Reply 39
il just be annoyed if i dont get the grades to go to uni, and my friend who isnt going to uni next year gets the grades i need.

but im not telling people that so ssssh :P

Latest