The Student Room Group

How come only 49% of us go to uni?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

I saw this table which says that only 49% of 25-34 years in the UK have a degree from a university. But I don't think I know anyone who isn't going to uni- everyone in my school last year and the last three years went to university and this year everyone I know I'm my year is planning to go to university. So how come it's only 49% when in reality it's so much higher? Do a lot of people drop out of uni and not get their degree?

Scroll to see replies

typical TSR response ... also what about those who went on to other education or training at 16 rather than sixth form ..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
typical TSR response ... also what aobut those who went on to other education or training at 16 rather than sixth form ..

No one in my school did this and in some of the nearby schools only a very small amount of people actually dropped out of school at 16. I don't personally know anyone who has done this. It is very rare since teachers often warn about the dangers of leaving school at 16.
Not sure if trolling or ...
Maybe your school isn't representative of the whole country? just a thought.
Original post by Ravenous
Not sure if trolling or ...

No, I honestly don't see how only 51% of us are going to uni. I don't know anyone out of the many people I know who isn't going to university.
Original post by Joinedup
Maybe your school isn't representative of the whole country? just a thought.

I know people from other schools and they're all going to university. Do you feel that the 49% statistic is accurate?
Some people go into thingd like raf,military navy.

Some people do apprentiships that are at a higher level.

So people drop out of university so don't get the degree
Some people also just go into work though or something.
Some people even travel etc

Kinda understandable you think that alot of people want to/apply to go to university but there are so many options out there people can do so many things other than university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shanktheopps
No one in my school did this and in some of the nearby schools only a very small amount of people actually dropped out of school at 16. I don't personally know anyone who has done this. It is very rare since teachers often warn about the dangers of leaving school at 16.

You do realise there are other options? You cant be that sheltered.
Original post by 999tigger
You do realise there are other options? You cant be that sheltered.

Tbh I don't. I've heard of apprenticeships but my teachers tend to discourage them and no one bothers doing them.
Reply 9
No, I honestly don't see how only 51% of us are going to uni. I don't know anyone out of the many people I know who isn't going to university.

I know people from other schools and they're all going to university. Do you feel that the 49% statistic is accurate?

Seriously, what planet are you living on? Your school does not represent the whole country.
II'd say out of my year group the majority didn't go to uni
Original post by Tw1x
Seriously, what planet are you living on? Your school does not represent the whole country.
II'd say out of my year group the majority didn't go to uni

Really? Is this the norm? I know people from other schools and they're all going to uni- I've never hard of anyone not going
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Really? Is this the norm?

Is what the norm...? Not every can afford to go to university, not everybody WANTS to go to univeristy. Clearly wikipedia says its about an even split (or just under) - there are plenty of other options other than university. If everybody had a degree they wouldn't be worth doing. Come back in 5 years when your degree hasn't got you a job
Original post by Tw1x
Is what the norm...? Not every can afford to go to university, not everybody WANTS to go to univeristy. Clearly wikipedia says its about an even split (or just under) - there are plenty of other options other than university. If everybody had a degree they wouldn't be worth doing. Come back in 5 years when your degree hasn't got you a job

Actually, everyone can afford it, but I can understand that some people might not want to. From what I've heard however, it's much harder to get a job without a degree since everyone has one these days.

I feel that I probably can get a graduate job- hopefully in financial services but I'll have to work hard of course. Good luck to you as well
Really? Is this the norm? I know people from other schools and they're all going to uni- I've never hard of anyone not going

And the people you know are not necessarily representative of the population. People keep pointing this out to you and you keep repeating the same "but everyone I know went" line. That's not how statistics work.
Reply 15
Actually, everyone can afford it, but I can understand that some people might not want to. From what I've heard however, it's much harder to get a job without a degree since everyone has one these days.

I feel that I probably can get a graduate job- hopefully in financial services but I'll have to work hard of course. Good luck to you as well

No not everybody can afford it.

Everybody thinks they can get a graduate job after university, hence why they go in the first place. In reality it's not that simple, some people go to university for 3 years and do great but have never worked at all. This doesn't win favours with employees, you need to have other qualities other than a piece of paper saying you studied for 3 years
That 49% is the reason we now have so much underemployment with graduate baristas, mechanics, technicians, drivers, restaurant workers, shop assistants.....

As a country we simply don't need this many graduates. It should be seen as perfectly acceptable to leave school or go to college, get an apprenticeship, get a trade and work with your hands. And you know who created the aim of half of all school leavers going to uni which resulted in the current mess? The Labour Party.
Tbh I don't. I've heard of apprenticeships but my teachers tend to discourage them and no one bothers doing them.

Some people dont do well in exams HCSE or A levels.
Some people go to college instead and dont do A levels.
Some people do appenticeships.
Some people get jobs
Some people cant afford uni.
Some people decide they dont wnat to go to Uni

Your school isn't representative.

In the not too distant past Uni attendance used to be in the 10-20% range.
It's not really shocking to me anymore. In the past it would have been since I grew up in a household where everyone went to university plus my school then, made it seem as if it was the way forward. But this isn't the case. Not everyone goes to university and university isn't the only route. There are apprenticeships for example and some even straight away find a full-time job. I've always wanted to go to university and will but now at least I know it isn't the only option. I feel like some are realising also that a degree isn't needed for what they want to do so instead seek experience. At one point it was free to attend uni then increased to 3,000 annually but now it's expensive standing at 9,000 also apparently the fees are predicted to increase. Nursing, Midwifery, all the NHS degrees except medicine and dentistry etc in the past/ currently are free but by 2017/18 students will now be charged 9,000 per year too. Now thinking about it, unless you're desired job/care requires a degree, I would avoid being in debt and gain experience. It's a more risky route I guess but there's more opportunities then ever before.
(edited 7 years ago)
#privilege

Quick Reply