The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford

Hello all!

I will be applying to study English Literature and Language in Oxford in the next week or so, but I don't know what sort of 'written work' needs to be submitted. My school has never had any pupils applying to Oxbridge, and therefore haven't been able to offer much guidance. The essays I wrote in AS were of a high standard, however when writing I focused solely on ticking every box in the mark scheme, so I feel as though the writing is perhaps a little bit.. contrived? I wrote my own play which we then performed and recorded live and I'm wondering if that could be used in order to show them what my writing style is really like.
Reply 1
Original post by LM8
Hello all!

I will be applying to study English Literature and Language in Oxford in the next week or so, but I don't know what sort of 'written work' needs to be submitted. My school has never had any pupils applying to Oxbridge, and therefore haven't been able to offer much guidance. The essays I wrote in AS were of a high standard, however when writing I focused solely on ticking every box in the mark scheme, so I feel as though the writing is perhaps a little bit.. contrived? I wrote my own play which we then performed and recorded live and I'm wondering if that could be used in order to show them what my writing style is really like.

The requirements for written work are set out at https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work?wssl=1 - in particular, the sentence:

It must be original school or college work, marked by a teacher, and not re-written or corrected in any way.

indicates fairly clearly that it should be one of your AS essays and not your play. Don't worry about the writing being formulaic - all high-scoring A-level essays ware likely to have the same issues.
Original post by LM8
Hello all!

We would advise that you submit one of your AS essays and mention your play in the Personal Statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending