The Student Room Group

Missing guns.

Pentagon is accused of losing track of weapons given to the Iraqi security forces.

This report is particularly embarrassing for the Pentagon, in part because the plan to train and equip new Iraqi security forces has been so central to its strategy in the country.

And, while it has been alleged before that weapons bound for the Iraqis have gone missing, the numbers in this report are striking.

The report comes from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) which is an independent US government agency that is essentially the watchdog and investigative arm for the US Congress.

The GAO says that, of some 185,000 assault rifles and 170,000 pistols that the Pentagon says it supplied to the Iraqi security forces, it can account for less than half: there is a discrepancy of 110,000 in the case of AK-47s, and 80,000 pistols.

The gaps in the figures for body armour and helmets are even bigger - only 80,000 out of a total of 215,000 sets of body armour accounted for, and only 25,000 out of 140,000 helmets.

The report does not say it knows what has happened to the weapons - only that there are gaping holes in the records

Text: BBC News

We would like to know what the U.S.A has done to recover these weapons; the U.A.E wishes for peace in the Middle East, but if these weapons fall in the wrong hands, then we would be farther away from our goal than ever!

OOC: Isreal, and now this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The US would firstly like to state that we are concerned by this report, but "unaccounted for" does NOT = "in the hands of insurgents". A similar report last year found that only 14,000 weapons were unaccounted for, as opposed to nearly 200,000.

And what exactly is the delegate referring to by saying "first israel"?
Reply 2
Like I said: If these weapons FALL (or WERE to fall) in the wrong hands.... they haven't been recovered yet, so there is a possibility.

I would also like to remind you that there were 80,000 pistols alone. How can the weapons 'misplaced' be just 14,000? Please provide a source.
Reply 3
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/30/world/main2136039.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2136039

Yes, there is a possibility that some of weapons will find their way into the wrong hands. That was inevitable from the get go. And, let's face it, if they aren't stealing weapons from us, they would be getting them elsewhere (evidence points to Syria and Iran).

Wait, what exactly is your issue here? Half your post refers to weapons being taken by insurgents, and the other half refers to us secretly giving them to israel. Which is it? The second is a very serious allegation, and i suggest you produce some evidence before we are forced to ask you to retract that statement.
Reply 4
A Y Z
I said that because we highly suspect that the weapons will end up in the hands of the Isrealis.

India is disgusted by the UAE's suggestion. We wonder how the weapons will end up in the hands of the Israelis - it is only Iraqi insurgents that have them, and we highly doubt that they will pass them on willing to Israel :rolleyes:.

India also suggests that the Representative for the United Arab Emirates learns how to spell Israel correctly. ISRAEL not ISREAL.
Reply 5
No wait: I should have used OOC. I said that were my thoughts, not my statements in character.

No allegiations; just speculating on MY OWN.
Reply 6
A Y Z
No wait: I should have used OOC. I said that were my thoughts, not my statements in character.

No allegiations; just speculating on MY OWN.

Okay :s-smilie:

India asks the Representative for the UAE to remove those comments if they were Out-Of-Character.
Reply 7
Apollo
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/30/world/main2136039.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2136039

Yes, there is a possibility that some of weapons will find their way into the wrong hands. That was inevitable from the get go. And, let's face it, if they aren't stealing weapons from us, they would be getting them elsewhere (evidence points to Syria and Iran).

Wait, what exactly is your issue here? Half your post refers to weapons being taken by insurgents, and the other half refers to us secretly giving them to israel. Which is it? The second is a very serious allegation, and i suggest you produce some evidence before we are forced to ask you to retract that statement.

Thank you for that. The U.A.E is hoping that the US takes all steps to ensure complete retreival.
Reply 8
brimstone
Okay :s-smilie:

India asks the Representative for the UAE to remove those comments if they were Out-Of-Character.

They're already removed. Sorry I forgot to add the :p: emoticon too.

Its 3 a.m. you have to excuse me guys. I won't place such outlandish blame(s) on an ally, while WITHIN character!
Reply 9
ahahaha

looks like the US is trying to beat Syrian weapon sales, by giving them away for FREE!

"line-up, line-up, get your free AK's!"
Russia would like to urge to all nations the importance of security when transporting, dealing in and selling weapons to prevent them falling into the wrong hands - weapons are dangerous enough without them being accessible to dissidents and extremists.

(is this predatory pricing to try and push other arms dealers out of the market?)
Albania is very concerned at all these unaccounted for weapons, and hopes that none will reemerge in other conflict zones.
Reply 12
6+6=12
ahahaha

looks like the US is trying to beat Syrian weapon sales, by giving them away for FREE!

"line-up, line-up, get your free AK's!"

Yeah, laugh it up. Or, alternatively, you could stop your suicide bombers from pouring into Iraq.
Reply 13
The RSA requests the representative from the US remembers the UN is a place for diplomacy and acts in a more civil manner towards our Syrian rep; especially in the absence of any independently verified proof Syria is sending suicide bombers anywhere as a state sanctioned action. The RSA notes it is actually America and Britain who are in illegal occupation and as such are far more the aggressor in Iraq than Syria.

The RSA also wonders what, if anything, is being done to attempt to track the weapons?
Reply 14
It seems to the government of PNG that the US can account for all 185,000 assault rifles and 170,000 pistols - they were given to the Iraqi Security forces. Evidently it's the Iraqis that have lost half of them.
Reply 15
Ethereal
The RSA requests the representative from the US remembers the UN is a place for diplomacy and acts in a more civil manner towards our Syrian rep

And no comment for the Syrian rep, who seems to find the whole situation quite funny? How about for the UAE rep, who feels that we secretly sold them to Israel?

especially in the absence of any independently verified proof Syria is sending suicide bombers anywhere as a state sanctioned action.

Well lets just say the Syrian government isn't exactly doing all it can to discourage these acts, shall we?

The RSA notes it is actually America and Britain who are in illegal occupation and as such are far more the aggressor in Iraq than Syria.

Since when has the RSA govt. had such a decidedly anti-american tilt?

The RSA also wonders what, if anything, is being done to attempt to track the weapons?

We are attempting to use serial codes on the weapons to track them down.
Reply 16
Apollo
And no comment for the Syrian rep, who seems to find the whole situation quite funny? How about for the UAE rep, who feels that we secretly sold them to Israel?

I have yet to see the Syrian rep accuse you in this thread of state sponsered terrorism.

Well lets just say the Syrian government isn't exactly doing all it can to discourage these acts, shall we?

Does the American government do all it can to discourage the subversive groups within its own borders? Did it discourage Americans donating money to pay for arms on both sides of the NI Troubles? Can any government be realistically held responsible for the independent actions of a minority of its citizens?

Since when has the RSA govt. had such a decidedly anti-american tilt?

The government of the RSA is bound by International treaties, agreements, protocol and ultimately law. It is not anti-american to make a de facto statement about the legality of the occupation; it is merely respecting the international law.

We are attempting to use serial codes on the weapons to track them down.

Has any investigation been conducted in to the protocols used when issuing them in the first place? Can we have an assurance this will not happen again?
Reply 17
Syria has, and will for the forseeable future allow its citizens to continue using the Syrian/Iraq border. We cannot be held to account for the actions of all our citizens, to suggest we should be is beyond absurd. Perhaps if the US was so concerned about its invasion force coming under attack, it would do well to advise its puppet government to seal the borders, rather than simply shift the blame to Syria. It would also help your security if you didn't lose weapons that will most likely end up in the hands of these aggressors.

Syria thanks the RSA delegate for his rebuttal of the US' underhand remarks.
Reply 18
Austria is concerned but will not be pointing fingers or making speculations as of yet.
Reply 19
Ethereal
I have yet to see the Syrian rep accuse you in this thread of state sponsered terrorism.

I have done no such thing.

Does the American government do all it can to discourage the subversive groups within its own borders? Did it discourage Americans donating money to pay for arms on both sides of the NI Troubles? Can any government be realistically held responsible for the independent actions of a minority of its citizens?

If these subversive groups were attempting to travel to another country and commit acts of terror, then yes, we would do all we could to "discourage" that. During Saddam's regime, it was nearly impossible for someone for someone the Iraqi's didn't want to pass through the Syrian/Iraqi border. Today, it's more a sieve than a border.

The government of the RSA is bound by International treaties, agreements, protocol and ultimately law. It is not anti-american to make a de facto statement about the legality of the occupation; it is merely respecting the international law.

*cough* invasion of lesotho *cough*

Has any investigation been conducted in to the protocols used when issuing them in the first place? Can we have an assurance this will not happen again?

No, you can't. That would be an empty promise and a waste of time. These weapons are missing, not known to be held by insurgents. You could very well be asking for an assurance that we won't misplace paperwork.

Latest

Trending

Trending